Why did Newton think the apple was pulled, not pushed?

In summary, Newton's theory of gravity was based on the concept of pull rather than push, and this simple idea has been able to accurately predict the behavior of not just the apple, but also planets and other phenomena. This contrasts with the complicated and ultimately unfruitful theory of push gravity proposed by Le Sage.
Mojonski
i was wondering, instead of thinking the apple was pulled down by some force to Earth , why didn't he think that there was a force pushed the apple down from above? , imagine when you leave in that particular year when he was alive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reminds me of the horrible (and unnecessary) complication of Ptolemy's model for the universe.

Mojonski said:
i was wondering, instead of thinking the apple was pulled down by some force to Earth , why didn't he think that there was a force pushed the apple down from above?
Newton quantified the force acting bodies in a gravitational field, and that is all you need to predict how the bodies will move. Whether you call it "pulling" or "pushing" is not relevant to physics, as long it's the same force quantitatively.

I think the answer is that he wasn't just thinking about the apple but planets as well.

Mojonski said:
i was wondering, instead of thinking the apple was pulled down by some force to Earth , why didn't he think that there was a force pushed the apple down from above? , imagine when you leave in that particular year when he was alive.

If you assume that gravity is a pull, you end up with a simple theory that correctly predicts not only the behavior of the apple, but also the motion of the planets, the ballistic trajectories of thrown objects, the tides, and many other phenomena. If you assume that gravity is a push, you end up with a complicated theory that correctly predicts nothing (except for making a non-quantitative prediction that dropped objects fall, which isn't exactly a brilliant new discovery).

Thus, Newton's insight was that we could try thinking in terms of pull instead of push. Then he tried it, and it worked so well that he (and the rest of humanity ever since) have run with it.

1. Why did Newton believe the apple was pulled, not pushed?

Newton observed that the apple fell straight down from the tree, rather than being pushed to the side by the wind. This led him to believe that there was a force pulling the apple towards the ground.

2. What is the significance of the apple falling in Newton's discovery?

The apple falling from the tree was not the main event that led to Newton's discovery of gravity. However, it served as a relatable example that helped him understand and explain the concept of gravity to others.

3. Did Newton actually see the apple fall from the tree?

There is no conclusive evidence that Newton actually witnessed the apple falling from the tree. The story is often told to illustrate his thought process and discovery of gravity, but it may have been an exaggeration.

4. How did Newton's understanding of gravity differ from previous theories?

Before Newton, many scientists believed that objects fell towards the ground because they were seeking their natural resting place. However, Newton's theory of gravity stated that the force of gravity exists between all objects with mass, and that the strength of this force depends on the mass and distance between the objects.

5. Did Newton's discovery of gravity happen all at once or over time?

Newton's discovery of gravity was a result of years of studying and experimenting with various theories. It was not a sudden revelation, but rather a gradual process of development and refinement of his ideas.