Why did Pythagoras fear beans?

• Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pythagoras
In summary, Pythagoras feared beans due to the belief that certain beans from the Mediterranean region could contain toxins that could cause radiation poisoning. This fear may have stemmed from the Pythagoreans' unusual community rules, including strict diets and permissible consumables. However, there is also speculation that Pythagoras may have been concerned about the radiation levels in certain foods, such as wheat from Ukraine. Overall, the reason for Pythagoras's fear of beans remains unclear, but it is believed to be related to his beliefs and practices in his community.
Gear300
Why did Pythagoras fear beans? Somebody told me two years ago it was for the same reason he bought only Ukrainian wheat from Whole Foods. Radiation poisoning. Two years since and I still haven't figured what he meant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gear300 said:
Somebody told me two years ago it was for the same reason he bought only Ukrainian wheat from Whole Foods.
I didn't even know they HAD Whole Foods back in Pythagoras's day.

Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
Lol. I read it like that too at first.

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes Argonaut and Klystron
The warning about fearing certain beans rings a faint bell from studying the classics. Some beans or seeds from the Mediterranean basin where Pythagoras lived appear edible but may contain mild to fatal toxins, such as castor beans that produce ricin.

If memory serves, Pythagoreans had some unusual community rules including diet and permissible consumables.

Likes DrClaude
🧐 I see. Thanks for the replies. I have been enlightened.

Likes Klystron
Campfire scene from Blazing Saddles? Just sayin'.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude and Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
Campfire scene from Blazing Saddles? Just sayin'.
I remember that one.

1. Why did Pythagoras fear beans?

According to Pythagoras' teachings, beans were considered a symbol of reincarnation and were believed to contain the souls of the dead. As a result, Pythagoras and his followers believed that consuming beans would mean consuming the souls of their ancestors, which they considered to be impure and avoided at all costs.

2. Did Pythagoras have a specific reason for fearing beans?

Yes, Pythagoras' fear of beans was rooted in his belief in reincarnation. He believed that the human soul went through a cycle of rebirth and that consuming beans would interfere with this cycle and potentially cause harm to the soul.

3. Was Pythagoras' fear of beans shared by others?

Yes, Pythagoras' followers, known as Pythagoreans, also shared his fear of beans and avoided consuming them. This belief was passed down through generations and became a common practice among the Pythagorean community.

4. Did Pythagoras' fear of beans have any scientific basis?

No, Pythagoras' fear of beans was based on his religious and philosophical beliefs rather than scientific evidence. However, some studies have shown that certain types of beans contain a chemical called lectin, which can cause digestive issues in some people, possibly leading to Pythagoras' aversion to beans.

5. Did Pythagoras' fear of beans have any impact on his teachings or way of life?

Yes, Pythagoras' fear of beans played a significant role in his teachings and way of life. The Pythagoreans followed a strict diet that excluded beans and other foods believed to interfere with the soul's reincarnation process. This belief also influenced their vegetarian lifestyle and their practice of abstaining from certain foods and behaviors.