Why do different wave equations have varying numbers of derivatives?

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the three wave equations that describe particles in quantum mechanics are based on different principles: the KG equation is based on the principle that a relativistic wave equation should describe a massive particle, the Dirac equation is based on the principle that a relativistic wave equation should describe a particle with spin 1/2, and the Schroedinger equation is based on the principle that a relativistic wave equation should describe a particle with spin 0.
DiracPool
In the early days of quantum mechanics, Erwin Shroedinger was developing his famous wave equation. I may need to double check this, but I believe he initially tried to develop a relativistic wave equation but essentially came up with a prototype of the Klein-Gordon equation and abandoned it. Klein-Gordon actually developed the equation and apparently it doesn't work for the electron but it works for spin-0 bosons, such as the Higgs.

Shroedinger went on to develop his famous wave equation, which ostensibly contains all the information you would ever want to know about a particle/system, and if you're really interested, you can just apply a measurable operator to that equation and find your position, momentum, or energy.

My question here regards the structure of these equations. Klein-Gordon has two derivatives of time and two derivatives of space. This is the logical first stab at formulating a relativistic wave equation just looking at the Einstein relation, E^2=(pc)^2+(mc^2)^2.

The cononical Shroedinger equation has one derivative of time and two derivatives of space.

And the Dirac equation has one derivative of time and one derivative of space.

So again, my question is basically this...How can we be so cavalier about differentially differentiating these wave equations? Is there any larger model of quantum mechanics that can justify arbitrarily taking different time and space derivatives for these three equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
[...] my question is basically this...How can we be so cavalier about differentially differentiating these wave equations? Is there any larger model of quantum mechanics that can justify arbitrarily taking different time and space derivatives for these three equations?
It's not at all cavalier.

The KG and Dirac equations are for the relativistic case, where the basic symmetry group is the Poincare group.

The Schroedinger eqn is for the nonrelativistic case, where the basic symmetry group is the Galilei group.

In both cases, the underlying principle is that we want wave equations that characterize a particular representation of the relevant symmetry group. E.g., the KG equation is for Poincare reps that are massive, with spin 0. The Dirac equation is for Poincare reps that are massive, with spin 1/2. The (ordinary) Schroedinger equation is for Galilei reps that are massive, with spin-0. (There's also a "Pauli eqn" for spin 1/2 in the latter case.)

I don't know whether you've encountered the concept of "group representation" already, upon which the above depends. If not, then I guess a much longer answer is needed.

strangerep said:
In both cases, the underlying principle is that we want wave equations that characterize a particular representation of the relevant symmetry group.

So we have to taylor make "designer" wave equations for different symmetry groups? Seems a little unparsimonious, doesn't it? What is the logic in the relativistic Dirac equation that has one space derivative that recovers the non-relativistic Shroedinger equation with two space derivatives? I don't get it. And then you have the KG equation that works for "specialty" conditions such as zero spin particle fields that we feed in two time derivatives?

DiracPool said:
So we have to taylor make "designer" wave equations for different symmetry groups? Seems a little unparsimonious, doesn't it?
"Taylor make"? I guess you mean "tailor make"? :oldbiggrin:

But no, the details of the symmetries determine the wave equations methodically. That's what (infinite-dimensional) representation theory is all about. It's quite a large, and fairly well-developed, subject.

The only "tailoring" is that one must put in causality by hand -- see below.

What is the logic in the relativistic Dirac equation that has one space derivative that recovers the non-relativistic Shroedinger equation with two space derivatives? I don't get it.
It's essentially the same technique that recovers Newtonian mechanics from Einsteinian mechanics in the low velocity limit. The high-fallutin term is "group contraction" -- by letting ##v/c \to 0##, one can "contract" the Poincare group to the Galilei group. Applied directly to the Dirac equation, one gets the Pauli equation in that limit.

And then you have the KG equation that works for "specialty" conditions such as zero spin particle fields that we feed in two time derivatives?
The KG equation is just based on the formula for the mass##^2##. It is applicable to everything, except that it has this negative energy problem, and hides some of the detail for nonzero spin. The correct symmetry group to use is really the full Poincare group (including parity transformations), restricted by causality. (Strictly speaking, this is a semigroup, since we only want forward time evolution, with energy bounded below.) This is how modern quantum field theories are constructed: by finding causal representations of the full Poincare group. (Ref: Weinberg vol 1.)

strangerep said:
"Taylor make"? I guess you mean "tailor make"? :oldbiggrin:

Lol. Ok, strangerep, you busted me. I must have been diverted by my golf visor hanging up in my closet..

taylormade-logo.jpg

I guess I have to do some research into these symmetry groups, thanks for the lead.

DiracPool said:
I guess I have to do some research into these symmetry groups, thanks for the lead.

Read chapter 3 - Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development.

Thanks
Bill

1. Why are wave equations important in science?

Wave equations are important in science because they describe the behavior and properties of various types of waves, such as light waves, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves. They allow scientists to make predictions and calculations about wave phenomena and to understand the underlying principles behind them.

2. How many types of wave equations are there?

There are various types of wave equations, each tailored to describe a specific type of wave. Some of the most commonly used wave equations include the Schrödinger equation for quantum mechanics, the Maxwell equations for electromagnetic waves, and the Navier-Stokes equations for fluid mechanics. There are many other types of wave equations used in different fields of science.

3. Why do we need different equations for different types of waves?

Different types of waves have different properties and behaviors, so they require different equations to accurately describe them. For example, sound waves travel through a medium such as air, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. This difference in behavior necessitates the use of different equations for each type of wave.

4. Are wave equations only used in physics?

No, wave equations are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are also used in other disciplines, such as economics and finance, to model wave-like patterns in data and make predictions about future trends.

5. Can wave equations be solved analytically?

Some wave equations can be solved analytically, meaning that a closed-form solution can be obtained. However, many wave equations are nonlinear and cannot be solved analytically, so numerical methods must be used to approximate a solution. This is a common approach in fields such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetics.