Why do I have to make gravity positive to make this work?

In summary: The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.29 and the coefficient of static friction must be greater than 0.29 for the objects to begin sliding. In summary, the two objects with masses of 7.10 kg each are connected by a light string passing over a frictionless pulley, with one object accelerating downward at a rate of 0.972 m/s^2. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.29 and the coefficient of static friction must be greater than 0.29 for the objects to begin sliding.
Shivang Saxena

Homework Statement

Two objects are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley as shown in the figure below. m1 = 7.10 kg, m2 = 7.10 kg, and ϕ = 56°. When released from rest, m1 accelerates downward at 0.972 m/s2. For this to happen, the coefficient of kinetic friction must be ______ , and to even begin sliding in the first place the coefficient of static friction must be _____ (less/greater) than _______

WTVgWJF.png

I set it up so my up and right is positive

m1 = m2 = 7.10kg
a = -0.972 m/s[/B]
Θ = 56

Homework Equations

For mass 1,
[/B]
∑Fy = T - mg = ma
T = m (a + g)

(No forces in x direction)

For mass 2,

∑Fy = N - mgsinΘ = ma = 0
N = mgsinΘ

∑Fx = -T + Ff + mgcosΘ = ma

Ff = μ * N
Ff = μ * mgsinΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a working solution, I'm just not satisfied with why it works. The equations above are all I needed, and after some substitution and simplification I got:
[/B]
μk = [ m ( -a - g) + m(gcosΘ -a) ] / mgsinΘ

The reason I'm not satisfied with this solution is that when I solve it, it only works if I plug in a as (-0.972), which it specified, but for gravity I have to put in (9.8). And even then I get -0.29 when it should be positive.

Why can't I put negative gravity in for g if my upward direction is positive? I searched around and found that the pos/neg depends on how you set up your sum of forces, but I have both positive and negative gravity in there and I'm very confused.

Also, I'm not sure how to approach the static friction part of the question. Shouldn't it also be 0.29? If someone could give me a hint as to where to start that would be great!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You made the gravitational force -mg in your equations of motion.

Therefore, g = 9.8 m/s/s

1. Why do I have to make gravity positive to make this work?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction between objects with mass. In order for a system to function properly, the acceleration due to gravity must be positive. This means that objects will be pulled towards each other, creating a stable environment.

2. Can't I just make gravity negative to make it work?

No, making gravity negative would result in objects being repelled from each other, which is not a natural occurrence in our universe. It would also cause instability and chaos in any system.

3. What happens if I don't make gravity positive?

If gravity is not positive, the laws of physics would not be applicable and the system would not behave in a predictable or realistic manner. This could lead to incorrect data and unreliable results.

4. Why is gravity important in this context?

Gravity is important in almost all contexts as it is a fundamental force that affects all objects with mass. In this particular context, gravity is necessary for creating a stable and predictable system.

5. Is it possible to change the strength of gravity in a system?

Yes, the strength of gravity can be altered by changing the mass of the objects or the distance between them. However, it is not recommended to change the strength of gravity as it may result in unrealistic or inaccurate outcomes.