Why do my sprites turn into black squares after I show an AdMob video?

• Thread starter Darkmisc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue where after playing a rewarded video in a game made with Godot and using AdMob ads, all sprites turn into black squares. The suggestions from ChatGPT to fix this issue include changing the graphics backend, rendering mode, and disabling VSync, as well as checking project settings. The conversation also suggests using Google to find a solution and considering potential side effects of using a plugin.
Darkmisc
TL;DR Summary
I've made a game in Godot that works fine. However, after I play an AdMob video, all the sprites become black squares.
Hi everyone

I've made a game in Godot and added AdMob ads to it using the Shin-Nil plugins.

The game works fine when I run banner ads. However, after I play a rewarded video, all my sprites turn into black squares.

I've tried the following suggestions from ChatGPT and none of them work.

1. Change the graphics backend. Go to Project > Project Settings > Rendering > Quality > Driver and try changing the graphics backend to a different one, such as GLES3 or Vulkan.
  2. Change the rendering mode. Go to Project > Project Settings > Rendering > Quality > Rendering > Mode and try changing the rendering mode to a different one, such as Spatial or 2D.
  3. Disable VSync. Go to Project > Project Settings > Rendering > Quality > VSync and disable VSync.
  4. Check your project settings. Go to Project > Project Settings > Rendering > Quality > Texture > Flags and make sure that the Filter and Mipmaps options are enabled.

Does anyone know why the videos are causing my sprites to turn into black squares?Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
I would search with google. It’s well known that ChatGPT solutions are totally believable but highly unreliable. When they fail then you must search to find your answer.

the only thing I can think of is something reinitialized your sprite data to be all zeros or something changed the sprite pointer to another area of memory. Since you mentioned using a plug-in you should look for what side effects others have experienced with it in the past.

Likes phinds and Darkmisc

1. Why do my sprites turn into black squares after I show an AdMob video?

This is a common issue that occurs when using AdMob videos in your game. The most likely cause is that the video player is taking up the entire screen and covering up your sprites. When the video ends, the sprites are no longer visible because they are behind the video player.

2. How can I prevent my sprites from turning into black squares after showing an AdMob video?

To prevent this issue, you can use the AdMob video's callbacks to pause your game when the video starts and resume it when the video ends. This will ensure that your sprites are not covered up by the video player.

3. Is there a way to keep my sprites visible while showing an AdMob video?

Yes, you can use the AdMob video's callbacks to resize the video player to a smaller size so that your sprites are still visible on the screen. This will also ensure that your game is not completely paused while the video is playing.

4. Are there any other possible causes for my sprites turning into black squares after an AdMob video?

Another possible cause could be an issue with the rendering of your sprites. You may need to optimize your game's rendering process to ensure that the sprites are not disappearing or being covered up by other elements on the screen.

5. Can I still use AdMob videos in my game if I am experiencing this issue?

Yes, you can still use AdMob videos in your game. However, it is important to address the issue to ensure a smooth and seamless user experience. By implementing the suggested solutions, you can continue to use AdMob videos without any disruption to your game.