Why do nuclei form in the first place if the protons repel each other?

In summary, the formation of nuclei can be explained by the process of nucleosynthesis, which occurs in stars through nuclear fusion or supernovae explosions. Some of the lighter elements were also formed during primordial nucleosynthesis.
flintstones
Homework Statement
I am a teacher. I was teaching my students about how the strong nuclear force attracts nucleons together, but only if the nucleons are very close together. I reminded them that the strong nuclear force is needed since protons would repel each other due to the electric force. Since the electric force has infinite range, at most distances, protons repel rather than attract.

A student asked me how nuclei form in the first place if the above is true. I was stumped and ended up just saying I didn't know.
Relevant Equations
N/A - all theoretical
Now that I think about this some more, nucleons can get close together if they are traveling at a very high speed. So maybe when the Earth first formed, stuff was moving fast (or at high temperature/pressure) and this forced nucleons together into nuclei? I don't really know what I'm talking about since I never studied nuclear physics in university. Is there a better explanation? Or is this an unanswerable question?

Physics news on Phys.org
flintstones said:
Problem Statement: I am a teacher. I was teaching my students about how the strong nuclear force attracts nucleons together, but only if the nucleons are very close together. I reminded them that the strong nuclear force is needed since protons would repel each other due to the electric force. Since the electric force has infinite range, at most distances, protons repel rather than attract.

A student asked me how nuclei form in the first place if the above is true. I was stumped and ended up just saying I didn't know.
Relevant Equations: N/A - all theoretical

Now that I think about this some more, nucleons can get close together if they are traveling at a very high speed. So maybe when the Earth first formed, stuff was moving fast (or at high temperature/pressure) and this forced nucleons together into nuclei? I don't really know what I'm talking about since I never studied nuclear physics in university. Is there a better explanation? Or is this an unanswerable question?
Try https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleosynthesis

flintstones said:
So maybe when the Earth first formed, stuff was moving fast (or at high temperature/pressure) and this forced nucleons together into nuclei?
No, the elements were synthesized far before the Earth was formed. The elements can be produced within stars by nuclear fusion or during supernovae explosions. Some of the lightest elements were available even earlier thanks to primordial nucleosynthesis.

1. Why do nuclei form in the first place?

The formation of nuclei is a result of the strong nuclear force, which is a fundamental force of nature that overcomes the repulsive forces between protons. This force is responsible for binding protons and neutrons together to form the nucleus of an atom.

2. What is the role of the strong nuclear force in the formation of nuclei?

The strong nuclear force acts between protons and neutrons to hold them together in the nucleus. It is one of the four fundamental forces in nature and is responsible for the stability of atoms.

3. How does the strong nuclear force overcome the repulsive forces between protons?

The strong nuclear force is a short-range force that is stronger than the electrostatic repulsion between protons. It is able to overcome this repulsion by binding protons and neutrons together through the exchange of particles called gluons.

4. Is the strong nuclear force the only force involved in the formation of nuclei?

No, the formation of nuclei also involves the weak nuclear force, which is responsible for the process of nuclear fusion. This force is responsible for the fusion of lighter nuclei to form heavier ones, releasing a large amount of energy in the process.

5. Can nuclei form without the presence of the strong nuclear force?

No, the strong nuclear force is essential for the formation of nuclei. Without it, the repulsive forces between protons would be too strong, causing the nucleus to break apart. This is why the strong nuclear force is often referred to as the "glue" that holds the nucleus together.