Why Do Patents Have Dependent Claims?

• Thread starter Mech King
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patent
In summary, a patent can protect an invention, but the claims of the patent can be complex and there can be different interpretations. If you do not infringe any of the claims of a patent, you are not infringing that patent. However, if you have one or more of the claims of the patent, you may be infringing that patent.
Mech King
I know that the interpretation of patent claims can be a complex art, but can you help me clarify some logic:

Basically, if your design differs from someones independant patent claim, with the exclusion of one element, then it will not be infringing that patent. So if you don't infringe any indepent claims of the patent then you do not infringe at all.

But my main query is, what is then the point of having independant claims to further define the elements of the design? Because shorley if you don't infinge the independent claims then the dependent ones are irrelevent?

But if you have all the elements listed in the independent claim then only then will a dependent claim be applicable - if you infringe the claim that it is dependant on.

So to that end why do they bother with dependent claims?

Anybody have any clues?

Many Thanks

Mech King

Engineering news on Phys.org
The difference in the two patents must demonstrate a 'substantial' change in the 'use or purpose' of the item. The court then walks the fine line between supporting 'what is' and 'what could be' and determining if there is a distinction between the two in the case before the court.

I understand the legal process, but I am facing a dillema as to what the what is the significance of the dependent claims?

If you don't infringe the independent claims then how can you infring the the dependent claims that depend upon that independent claim?

Mech King said:
So to that end why do they bother with dependent claims?
Generally because you only have to infringe one of the claims to be sued.

So in a patent you will first claim some over-arching invention (like the wheel) and then a bunch of dependant sub-claims about particular implementations.
That's why you get language such as "the invention where the surface of the wheel is substantially round"
Generally the overarching invention gets thrown out as obvious or too general and you win on one of the minor implementation claims.

You could also file separate patents on each of the sub claims but that is a lot more money/work.

The famous one is Edison and movie film, his claim to have invented it was thrown out but one of the sub-claims was to use sprocket holes which stood an gave him an monopoly.

Thanks mgb_phys,

but what if your invention is different from the main overarching independant claim, but you totally infringe one of the dependent claims? Would this mean you would not be sued because the claim you have infringed is dependent upon the first independent claim? If that makes sense.

So if one deosn't infringe the independent claim 1 (for example), then any claim dependant on claim 1 cannot be infringed?

No the whole point is that the claims standalone
The main claim almost never stands, you get people on the dependant claims

It's tricky because it's not a question of if you violated the claims, it's a question of will the court decide you have. Or these days more a question of can the other guy keep you in court long enough that you go bust before they do.
The normal advice is to ask a lawyer/patent agent - in my experience all they do is send you a list of patents that you violate, which when you look at them suggests that some office junior just put all the keywords into google.

Last edited:
Thanks mgb_phys,

I have heard contrasting things in the past and to be honest its such a minefield, that you just never feel totally secure unless youknow your invention is totally 100% unique.

thanks for your comments,

cheers

Mech King said:
to be honest its such a minefield,
That's lawyers for you.
I worked for companies that filed lots of patents. Essentially we use them as NDAs, before a meeting with a client you file a patent on absolutely anything you can think of on that topic. Then if there is an argument about something - you can claim to already have invented it - none of these patents would ever have stood upto anything.
We were also advised both to NEVER do a patent search on anything we worked on - because if we could be shown to have known about a patent that could be used in court to show intent, we were separately advised that if we DIDN'T do a patent search then we were committing perjury when we file a patent because we din't show due dilligence

that you just never feel totally secure unless youknow your invention is totally 100% unique.
I think that went out of thew window 100years ago. Patents are now on things the process of like comparing prices and buying the cheapest!
IBM is even trying to patent using patents against competitors!

Last edited:
what a crazy world eh?

:)

What is an "Infringing Patent Claim"?

An infringing patent claim refers to a patent claim that is being used or implemented by someone else without the permission of the patent owner. This can include making, using, selling, or importing a product or process that is covered by the patent claim.

How can I determine if my invention or product may be infringing on a patent claim?

The best way to determine if your invention or product may be infringing on a patent claim is to conduct a thorough patent search. This can be done through various online databases or by consulting a patent attorney. It is important to note that even if your invention or product is similar to a patented invention, it may not be considered infringing if it does not meet all the elements of the patent claim.

What are the consequences of infringing on a patent claim?

The consequences of infringing on a patent claim can include legal action by the patent owner, such as a lawsuit for patent infringement. If found guilty, the infringer may be required to pay damages to the patent owner, stop the infringing activity, and/or license the patent from the owner. In some cases, criminal charges may also be filed for willful infringement.

Can I be sued for infringing on a patent claim unintentionally?

Yes, it is possible to be sued for unintentional infringement on a patent claim. This is why it is important to conduct a thorough patent search before developing or commercializing a new invention or product. However, if the infringement was truly unintentional, the court may take this into consideration when determining damages.

What defenses can be used against a claim of patent infringement?

There are several defenses that can be used against a claim of patent infringement, including:

• Non-infringement: This defense argues that the accused invention or product does not meet all the elements of the patent claim.
  • Invalidity: This defense argues that the patent is not valid, either because it was not novel or non-obvious, or because it was not properly filed or maintained.
  • License: If the accused infringer has a license from the patent owner, this can be used as a defense.
  • Exhaustion: This defense argues that the patent owner has already received compensation for the use of the patented invention or product.
  • Prior use: This defense argues that the accused invention or product was already in use before the patent was granted.