Why do people complain about sound on LCD TVs?

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd Sound
In summary, when looking for a 42" - 46" LED HDTV, the customer encountered many TVs on sale with low reviews due to poor sound quality. However, upon reading the reviews, it was discovered that the picture quality was actually great. The customer also discussed the frustration with the product review system and how some people complain just for the sake of complaining. Ultimately, the customer recommends starting from scratch and using personal criteria when selecting a TV.
Meh, on one level I can sympathize with the idea that 'I paid $800 for a TV, so it should have good sound', but yeah, you should understand what you are buying/getting.

My 42" in my living room has passable sound and I use it as-is for many things, but obviously for a movie I must have my surround sound. My 23" in my bedroom (is too small...) has absolutely terrible sound, so I bought a mid-level set of computer speakers with a subwoofer. This is nice because it is seamless: I can just leave them plugged-in and on and the TV will control the volume.

My biggest sound quality complaint is actually about broadcast quality: Particularly for sporting events, the sound mixing seems optimized for surround sound in a way that makes stereo sound just awful. You often get a hollow/echo-y sound, with the announcers drowned-out by crowd noise using the in-TV speakers.

My bigger complaint is with remotes, but that's a whole 'nother issue. Hopefully, the move to network everything will enable a switch to IP/Wifi based remotes that actually know what the TV is doing instead of guessing/hoping it is doing what it is supposed to.

...and I do have an irate rant I need to post in our product claims forum, regarding air purifiers...

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
The issue I have is the doubt that big screen productions cater to this. I can certainly see video game productions doing so since TV is their primary target.

The big screen just isn't as big as it used to be. The drive in theaters are gone. Other theater ticket sales have remained steady, but DVD, cable, satellite, and internet streaming sales have increased and long ago surpassed theater sales. Its not a question of primary markets, but of expanding markets and catering to both theaters and TVs.

HeLiXe said:
The motto of the story...never mention Bose to a rich scientific male audiophile who has pet cats -_-

Hey. Who you callin' rich?

(I'm reminded of the parable of the man with a Ferrari. He drove by a husband and a wife. The wife says, "wow, he must be really rich." To which the husband responds, "not after buying that car.")

DoggerDan said:
My TV speakers remain muted. I listen to the sound of all programming (DVD, Blu-ray, Netflix, Hulu, etc.) as played through my 6.1 stereo.

Smart man.

I don't think I've ever tried to use the speakers on my current LCD. This is the TV I have in the living room (bought it almost 5 years ago) http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Hyundai_Vvuon_Q321_32_Inch_HD_Ready_Freeview_LCD_Television_Q321/version.asp" . It even has detachable speakers, so detached they became!

Last edited by a moderator: