Why Do Photons from Electrons Split into Particles?

In summary: Those are not "electrons close to positrons" or whatever - those loops are not real particles. They are a model to describe how QFT gives particles; the bare mass is some number that influences the "particle mass", those two are not the same.
StarsRuler
¿ Why the photons emitted by an electron are desintegrated in a photon, and then in an electron a positron?

The positive charge stay near the electron doing that charge stay minus than its real value. But, ¿ why don´t matter the same with the mass??

Physics news on Phys.org
At least for me, it is hard to guess what you are asking.

¿ Why the photons emitted by an electron are desintegrated in a photon, and then in an electron a positron?
Do you think of electromagnetic showers and pair production here? If high-energetic electrons come close to a nucleus, they can emit high-energetic photons.
If high-energetic photons come close to a nucleus, they can produce an electron and a positron. It is possible to describe those processes with quantum field theory, but physics cannot answer "why" on a fundamental level. We can just observe the universe, and make theories to match those observations.

The positive charge stay near the electron doing that charge stay minus than its real value. But, ¿ why don´t matter the same with the mass??
I don't understand that.

E=mc^2, energy-mass equivalence does balance before and after the pair-production.

About the questions, I ask the question in the frame of QFT, of course. On respect the second question, well, if all positrons stays near the electron, same you must measure a minor charge because you are really measuring the positron masses with the electron mass, a bigger mass ( the electron mass and all the positron masses) must be measured too. But the second affirmation is not certain.

if all positrons stays near the electron
Why should positrons stay near some electrons?
They can form positronium (bound state of electron+positron), but that is rare in high-energetic collisions.
same you must measure a minor charge
Where do you measure which charge how?
because you are really measuring the positron masses with the electron mass
Charge measurements and mass measurement are different.

Charge measurements and mass measurement are different.

Of course, they are different. But no relation with my question

I don't understand your question then.

Positron measurements are done on positrons alone, without electrons.

Positron measurements are done on positrons alone, without electrons.

No, the shielded charge we measure is the charge of electron+ positrons cloud, but if we measure the mass of electron+positrons cloud, the result wolud be bigger . Why in the charge case the measurement is joint and in mass case is disjoint?

Ok, I take care now. The gravitational force is negligible at this scales. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Ah now I think I get it. you mean loop corrections?
Those are not "electrons close to positrons" or whatever - those loops are not real particles. They are a model to describe how QFT gives particles; the bare mass is some number that influences the "particle mass", those two are not the same.

Related to Why Do Photons from Electrons Split into Particles?

1. What is electron polarization?

Electron polarization refers to the alignment of electrons in a material in response to an external electric field. This results in a separation of positive and negative charges, creating a dipole moment.

2. How does electron polarization occur?

Electron polarization occurs when an electric field is applied to a material, causing a shift in the positions of the electrons. This can happen through either atomic or molecular polarization, depending on the type of material.

3. What is the significance of electron polarization?

Electron polarization plays a crucial role in many important phenomena, such as the creation of electric fields in dielectric materials and the formation of ionic bonds in compounds. It also affects the behavior of materials in response to external electric fields.

4. Can electron polarization be measured?

Yes, electron polarization can be measured using various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, dielectric constant measurement, and optical spectroscopy. These methods allow for the determination of the magnitude and direction of the polarization in a material.

5. How does electron polarization relate to magnetism?

There is a close relationship between electron polarization and magnetism. In fact, all magnetic materials exhibit electron polarization. The alignment of electrons in a material contributes to the overall magnetic properties and behavior of the material.