Why do photons repel one another?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photons repelling each other and references a scientific article describing how this is possible due to a non-linearity caused by two-level systems. The article also discusses the creation of "atom-photon molecules" and the effective repulsion between photons due to the coupling with atoms.
psmarz

Physics news on Phys.org
psmarz said:
What makes you think that they repel one another?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070506160623.htm"

This article has me confused lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is theoretical...

I just do not understand how photons could repel one another if they are solid state.

The OP is talking about this paper: http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/v2/n12/abs/nphys466.html"

Arxiv preprint: http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0609050

From this point on, I'll shut up and observe.

Last edited by a moderator:
D H said:
From this point on, I'll shut up and observe.
I'm way ahead of you. I found that paper earlier. Beats me!

Ok...

The two-level system (TLS) creates a non-linearity, causing an interaction between the photons (a repulsion).

By adding photons to a two-dimensional array of coupled optical cavities, each containing a single two-level atom in the photon-blockade regime, they form atom-photon `molecules' termed dressed states or polaritons.

The coupling between the atom and the photons leads to optical nonlinearities and an effective photon-photon repulsion.

Last edited:

1. Why do photons repel one another?

Photons, as particles of light, have a property known as electric charge. Like charges repel each other according to the laws of electromagnetism, so photons with the same charge will repel each other. This is known as the Coulomb force.

2. How does the repulsion between photons work?

The repulsion between photons is a result of their electric fields interacting with each other. When two photons with the same charge are close together, their electric fields push against each other, causing them to repel.

3. Are there any exceptions to the repulsion between photons?

Yes, there are exceptions to the repulsion between photons. In certain circumstances, such as when photons are traveling in a vacuum, they may not experience repulsion as there are no other particles or fields present to interact with.

4. Can photons attract each other?

Yes, photons can attract each other under certain conditions. When photons have opposite charges, they will attract each other instead of repelling. This is known as the Coulomb force of attraction.

5. How does the repulsion between photons affect the behavior of light?

The repulsion between photons has a significant impact on the behavior of light. It is responsible for phenomena such as light scattering, where photons are deflected in different directions due to their repulsion with other particles, and the creation of light beams, where photons are tightly packed together due to their mutual repulsion.