Why Do Sausages Roll Over While Cooking? Scientific Explanation Needed!

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of sausages rolling over when cooking. The participants suggest that this may be due to the contraction of the skin on one side while the other side remains uncooked. This displacement could cause the sausage to roll. They also mention that hot dogs are typically grilled, not boiled, and that wurst may be a better option for cooking.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Why is it that when i cook sausages i can brown them on one side, but, when i turn them over to brown the other side they turn over on there own.
I am sure there must be a scientific reason, maybe steam trapped under the skin, any way the
only way i can cook them all round is by sticking cocktail sticks in them.
Please reply with scientific explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's try an experiment. Are your sausages quite cylindrical before you start cooking them? After browning on one side, are they still cylindrical or are they curved?

turbo said:
Let's try an experiment. Are your sausages quite cylindrical before you start cooking them? After browning on one side, are they still cylindrical or are they curved?

Yes they are cylindrical and straight not curved.

Any bulges?

When I cook hot dogs, they turn themselves...

turbo said:
When I cook hot dogs, they turn themselves...

I thought hotdogs were boiled?

Not mine! They are fried in butter, along with the rolls.

When I saw your thread title, I almost didn't click.

Anyway, life's a ... That's all I know.

Could it be that the uncooked side is rounder than the cooked side so it tends to role?

Brown them on the other side first silly.

Jimmy Snyder said:
:rofl:

Evo said:
Could it be that the uncooked side is rounder than the cooked side so it tends to role?
I think you almost have it.. As one side cooks, the skin dries and contracts. While the uncooked side either stays the same or stretches to accommodate the contraction. Conceivably, this could provide enough displacement for the sausage to roll. The larger the surface area of the sausage, the larger the displacement. :smile:

wolram said:
I thought hotdogs were boiled?
Grilled!

Wurst is better.

Jimmy Snyder said:
:rofl:

1. Why do sausages roll over while cooking?

There are a few factors that contribute to sausages rolling over while cooking. First, sausages are cylindrical in shape and have a tendency to roll due to their uneven weight distribution. Additionally, as the heat penetrates the sausage, the moisture inside turns into steam and expands, causing the sausage to move. Finally, the heat source underneath the sausage creates a temperature gradient, with the side closest to the heat source cooking faster and causing the sausage to roll towards the cooler side.

2. Why do some sausages roll more than others while cooking?

The rolling of sausages while cooking can also be influenced by the type of sausage and its ingredients. For example, sausages with higher fat content will have a more uneven weight distribution and may roll more. The shape and size of the sausage can also play a role, as longer and thinner sausages may have a higher likelihood of rolling compared to shorter and thicker ones.

3. Can the rolling of sausages while cooking be prevented?

While the rolling of sausages is a natural occurrence, there are some techniques that can help prevent excessive rolling. Placing skewers through the sausages can help keep them in place and prevent rolling. Another method is to cut shallow slits on the bottom of the sausage, which can create a flat surface and prevent it from rolling.

4. Does the rolling of sausages affect their cooking?

The rolling of sausages does not significantly affect their cooking. As long as the sausages are cooked thoroughly and reach the appropriate internal temperature, they will be safe to eat. However, excessive rolling can cause the sausages to cook unevenly, with one side being more cooked than the other.

5. How can the rolling of sausages be used to our advantage while cooking?

The rolling of sausages can actually be used to our advantage while cooking. By rolling the sausages, we can ensure that they are evenly cooked on all sides. This can be especially useful when grilling or cooking sausages on a stovetop, as it helps to achieve a nice, even browning and prevents any side from being overcooked.