Why do some Jeopardy hosts hesistate before saying "Correct"?

• Thread starter berkeman
  • Start date
In summary, the Jeopardy hosts seem to hesitate before confirming the contestant's answer as correct, which seems like a big flaw in their game.
berkeman
Mentor
Watching Jeopardy tonight, I'm reminded that a few guest hosts seemed to have a very annoying habit of hesitating almost a full second before telling a contestant that their question was "Correct!". The host tonight Mayim Bialik has done it several times in the Professor tournament, but I don't remember which other guest hosts in the recent host audition shows had the same habit.

Is it just a personal habit of these hosts of being a bit slow in their conversations, or are they unsure of some of the Jeopardy question responses that are offered up and need to look to the judges, or what? I personally find this a big intellectual glitch in the shows, since in intense intellectual situations I expect *immediate* feedback/response.

Or maybe I should just go see a doctor and check into Jeopardy therapy... :wink:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Borg and Mondayman
Physics news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
find this a big intellectual glitch in the shows, since in intense intellectual situations I expect *immediate* feedback/response.
Maybe the guest hosts are too vain to wear their reading glasses, or unprepared to pronounce the words, shades of Sean Connery.

I wonder if there is a producer/judge talking in their ear?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I'm guessing that it's an imperfect splice in the tape where she originally said "Sheldon, that's correct.".

• Haha
Likes berkeman and russ_watters
berkeman said:
Or maybe I should just go see a doctor and check into Jeopardy therapy...
Yeah, that. In the following video, Mayim Bialik plays herself and you're Sheldon:

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Perhaps the host merely wished to silently confirm to herself that the contestant is indeed correct because she does not wish to erroneously declare him to be correct and make herself look like a fool on (inter)national television.

I wonder if they consciously use a pause as a dramatic effect.

George Jones said:
I wonder if they consciously use a pause as a dramatic effect.
Oh gawd, I hope not. That's just cruel, IMO...

(calling my doctor now...) o0)

Likes Bystander
Can you recall Alex doing it?

Never. It's only been a couple of guest hosts who've done it AFAIK.

To prolong the suspense. It’s sort of sadistic.

1. Why do some Jeopardy hosts hesitate before saying "Correct"?

There are a few reasons why Jeopardy hosts may hesitate before saying "Correct". One reason is that they may want to make sure they have the correct pronunciation of the answer, especially for foreign or difficult words. Another reason could be to build suspense and keep the audience engaged. Additionally, the hosts may want to make sure they have the correct answer in their notes before confirming it.

2. Do all Jeopardy hosts hesitate before saying "Correct"?

No, not all Jeopardy hosts hesitate before saying "Correct". Some may have developed their own unique style and may not hesitate at all, while others may hesitate more frequently. It ultimately depends on the individual host's preferences and comfort level.

3. Is there a specific amount of time that Jeopardy hosts wait before saying "Correct"?

There is no set amount of time that Jeopardy hosts wait before saying "Correct". It can vary depending on the host and the complexity of the answer. Some hosts may take longer pauses for dramatic effect, while others may say it immediately.

4. How do Jeopardy hosts decide when to hesitate before saying "Correct"?

The decision to hesitate before saying "Correct" is often left up to the individual host. Some may have certain cues or triggers that prompt them to hesitate, while others may make the decision in the moment based on their instincts. It can also depend on the tone and pace of the game.

5. Does hesitating before saying "Correct" affect the outcome of the game?

No, hesitating before saying "Correct" does not affect the outcome of the game. The host's hesitation is simply a verbal pause and does not have any impact on the actual correct answer or the contestants' scores. The hesitation is simply part of the host's presentation style and does not affect the gameplay.