Why do we apply the Euclidean Division, b divided by 3?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the expression $17\cdot 3^{2n+1}+41\cdot n^2\cdot 3^{n+1}+2$ is not a perfect square for any integer $n$. The method of proof involves taking $b$ divided by 3 and considering 3 possible remainders (0, 1, and 2) to reduce the infinite number of cases to just three. This is a common trick in number theory problems, where the use of equivalence classes modulo primes can simplify the problem.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :rolleyes:
I am looking at the following exercise:
"Prove that $\forall n \in \mathbb{N}$ the number $17 \cdot 3^{2n+1}+41 \cdot n^2 \cdot 3^{n+1}+2$ " is not a square of an integer."

We do it like that:
$a(n)= 17 \cdot 3^{2n+1}+41 \cdot n^2 \cdot 3^{n+1}+2=3 \cdot (17 \cdot 3^{2n}+41 \cdot n^2 \cdot 3^{n})+2$.
We suppose that $a(n)=b^2$,for a $b\in \mathbb{Z}$
Applying the Euclidean Division,$b$ divided by $3$ gives us $b=3k+r, r\in \{0,1,2\}$.
So,$b^2=(3k+r)^{2}$
For $r=0 , b^2=9k^2=3 \cdot 3k^2$,so the remainder is equal to $0$.
For $r=1 , b^2=9k^2+6k+1=3(3k^2+2k)+1 $,so the remainder is equal to $1$.
For $r=2 , b^2=9k^2+12k+4=3(3k^2+4k+1)+1 $,so the remainder is equal to $1$.

So,the remainder of $b^2$ divided by $3$,cannot be $2$ at any case..So,it cannot be $a(n)=b^2$.

But...Why do we apply the Euclidean Division,$b$ divided by $3$ ?? :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hey! :rolleyes:
I am looking at the following exercise:
"Prove that $\forall n \in \mathbb{N}$ the number $17 \cdot 3^{2n+1}+41 \cdot n^2 \cdot 3^{n+1}+2$ " is not a square of an integer."

We do it like that:
$a(n)= 17 \cdot 3^{2n+1}+41 \cdot n^2 \cdot 3^{n+1}+2=3 \cdot (17 \cdot 3^{2n}+41 \cdot n^2 \cdot 3^{n})+2$.
We suppose that $a(n)=b^2$,for a $b\in \mathbb{Z}$
Applying the Euclidean Division,$b$ divided by $3$ gives us $b=3k+r, r\in \{0,1,2\}$.
So,$b^2=(3k+r)^{2}$
For $r=0 , b^2=9k^2=3 \cdot 3k^2$,so the remainder is equal to $0$.
For $r=1 , b^2=9k^2+6k+1=3(3k^2+2k)+1 $,so the remainder is equal to $1$.
For $r=2 , b^2=9k^2+12k+4=3(3k^2+4k+1)+1 $,so the remainder is equal to $1$.

So,the remainder of $b^2$ divided by $3$,cannot be $2$ at any case..So,it cannot be $a(n)=b^2$.

But...Why do we apply the Euclidean Division,$b$ divided by $3$ ?? :confused:

I am not familiar with the expression "Euclidean Division,$b$ divided by $3$".
However, I do see what was intended.
The results are taken modulo 3.

Since
$$a(n) \equiv 2 \pmod 3$$
for any $n$,
and since
$$b^2 \equiv 0,1 \pmod 3$$
for any $b$,
it follows that
$$a(n)\ne b^2$$
for any $n$ and for any $b$.

I like Serena said:
I am not familiar with the expression "Euclidean Division,$b$ divided by $3$".
However, I do see what was intended.
The results are taken modulo 3.

Since
$$a(n) \equiv 2 \pmod 3$$
for any $n$,
and since
$$b^2 \equiv 0,1 \pmod 3$$
for any $b$,
it follows that
$$a(n)\ne b^2$$
for any $n$ and for any $b$.

I haven't understood why we take $b=3k+r$ and then find from this $b^2$..

evinda said:

Any $b$ can be written as a multiple of 3 plus either 0, 1, or 2.

The reason to do so, is to find the remainder of $b^2$ modulo 3 (the remainder when dividing by 3).

Btw, I suspect you are learning this as part of a course in abstract algebra.
But this is really a Number Theory problem, so I am moving it there.

evinda said:

The reason why is that it is the smallest prime that offers us some insight into this problem (using oddness/evenness isn't particularly helpful, in this case, all that is tells us is:

Odd squared is odd
Even squared is even).

Now we only have 3 possible remainders upon division by 3: 0, 1 or 2. This becomes the 3 cases:

$b = 3k \implies b^2 = 9k^2$
$b = 3k+1 \implies b^2 = (3k+1)^2 = 3(3k^2 + 2k) + 1 = 3m + 1$

(for the integer $m = 3k^2 + 2k$).

$b = 3k+2 \implies b^2 = (3k+2)^2 = 3(3k^2 + 4k + 1) + 1 = 3m' + 1$.

The whole purpose is to use the fact that only 3 remainders are possible to reduce the INFINITE number of cases (every natural number) to just THREE cases.

One can also see that if the remainder is 2, that is $b = 3k+2$, letting $k' = k + 1$, we see that $b$ is of the form $3(k + 1 - 1) + 2 = 3(k + 1) - 3 + 2 = 3k' - 1$, which makes it clear why division by "3" works so well, the remainder set is equivalent to:

$\{-1,0,1\}$

One can also express this as:

$ -1 \equiv 2\text{ (mod }3)$

This is a "common trick" in problems about natural numbers: to consider the same problem as a problem about integers, and then consider the equivalence classes modulo $p$ (where $p$ is prime). When $p = 2$, this is called "the arithmetic of parity" or "reasoning by odd and even cases".

Convince yourself (experiment a little, half the fun in math comes from "fooling around") that (modulo $p$ for an odd prime) we get only "half as many squares" as there are (non-zero) remainders. Such numbers are called "quadratic residues", and form an important part of number theory. For example, the quadratic residues modulo 5 are:

1, and 4.

So, if reducing mod 5, we find a certain expression is 2 or 3, we could likewise argue it is not a perfect square.

Deveno said:
The reason why is that it is the smallest prime that offers us some insight into this problem (using oddness/evenness isn't particularly helpful, in this case, all that is tells us is:

Odd squared is odd
Even squared is even).

Now we only have 3 possible remainders upon division by 3: 0, 1 or 2. This becomes the 3 cases:

$b = 3k \implies b^2 = 9k^2$
$b = 3k+1 \implies b^2 = (3k+1)^2 = 3(3k^2 + 2k) + 1 = 3m + 1$

(for the integer $m = 3k^2 + 2k$).

$b = 3k+2 \implies b^2 = (3k+2)^2 = 3(3k^2 + 4k + 1) + 1 = 3m' + 1$.

The whole purpose is to use the fact that only 3 remainders are possible to reduce the INFINITE number of cases (every natural number) to just THREE cases.

One can also see that if the remainder is 2, that is $b = 3k+2$, letting $k' = k + 1$, we see that $b$ is of the form $3(k + 1 - 1) + 2 = 3(k + 1) - 3 + 2 = 3k' - 1$, which makes it clear why division by "3" works so well, the remainder set is equivalent to:

$\{-1,0,1\}$

One can also express this as:

$ -1 \equiv 2\text{ (mod }3)$

This is a "common trick" in problems about natural numbers: to consider the same problem as a problem about integers, and then consider the equivalence classes modulo $p$ (where $p$ is prime). When $p = 2$, this is called "the arithmetic of parity" or "reasoning by odd and even cases".

Convince yourself (experiment a little, half the fun in math comes from "fooling around") that (modulo $p$ for an odd prime) we get only "half as many squares" as there are (non-zero) remainders. Such numbers are called "quadratic residues", and form an important part of number theory. For example, the quadratic residues modulo 5 are:

1, and 4.

So, if reducing mod 5, we find a certain expression is 2 or 3, we could likewise argue it is not a perfect square.

Nice,thank you! :)

1. Why is Euclidean Division important in mathematics?

Euclidean Division is important in mathematics because it allows us to find the remainder when dividing a number by another number. This is useful in many real-world applications such as calculating interest rates, determining the number of items in a group, and finding the smallest common multiple.

2. What is the difference between Euclidean Division and regular division?

The main difference between Euclidean Division and regular division is that Euclidean Division always gives a remainder between 0 and the divisor, while regular division can result in decimal numbers or fractions as the remainder. Euclidean Division is also useful for finding the greatest common divisor of two numbers.

3. Why do we use 3 as the divisor in Euclidean Division?

The choice of 3 as the divisor in Euclidean Division is arbitrary and can be any number. However, 3 is often used because it is a relatively small number and easy to work with, making calculations simpler and faster.

4. How is Euclidean Division related to modular arithmetic?

Euclidean Division is closely related to modular arithmetic, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations on remainders. In modular arithmetic, the remainder is always taken with respect to a fixed number, known as the modulus. This is similar to how the remainder is calculated in Euclidean Division, where the remainder is taken with respect to the divisor.

5. Can Euclidean Division be used for any type of numbers?

Yes, Euclidean Division can be used for any type of numbers, including integers, fractions, and even complex numbers. The only requirement is that the divisor must be a non-zero number.