Why do we call function a Rule

• B
  • Thread starter SHASHWAT PRATAP SING
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: Is it so important? Where do you see the difference?In summary, a function is defined as having only one output value per input value, distinguishing it from relations. The rule or mechanism of a function is used to find the output value given the input value. The terminology used to refer to this rule may vary, but the concept remains the same.
SHASHWAT PRATAP SING
Let's take an example -
f: N-->N
f(x)= 2x
This is called the Rule of the Function.
The rule of the function tells us the relationship between the elements (x,f(x))of the ordered pairs in the Function Set. So, if the rule tells us the relationship then why do we call f(x)= 2x as the rule of the function.
Please help me...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What does rule mean to you? ##f(x)=2x## is a rule because it tells you how to find the function value given the input value. Law would be conflicting physics and jurisprudence.

Last edited:
SHASHWAT PRATAP SING said:
Let's take an example -
f: N-->N
f(x)= 2x
This part, f: N-->N, tells you that the function (named f here) pairs an input value from set N with an output value also from set N. By the way, N usually means the natural numbers, 0, 1, 2, 3, and so on.
This part, f(x)= 2x, tells you the rule, or formula -- how to get an output value from a given input value.

So f(3) is evaluated as 2*3, or 6. Similarly, f(5) = 2*5 = 10, and so on.

• Informative
Likes SHASHWAT PRATAP SING
So, if the rule tells us the relationship then why do we call f(x)= 2x as the rule of the function.
Please help me...
You spend way too much time on words. If this is so important to you, try to study Wittgenstein. You have the third thread on basically the same issue, and all contain the same answers. If they still do not satisfy you, then you should tell us what would! You can approach this question by pure logic (cp. relations and functions), mathematically (nobody cares the nuances of speech as long as the definitions are clear; and rule is no mathematical term), or philosophically (cp.Wittgenstein and analytic philosophy of language).

From a logical perspective: note that rule is not really defined. It is common language.
From a mathematical perspective: you are wasting your time.
From a philosophical perspective: Wittgenstein is the first address, but I will lead you away from mathematics.

Edit: If English isn't your native language and you are concerned about its correct usage, then I may quote what a mathematician once told me: "Scientific language is broken English." That means, as long as everybody knows what you are talking about, as long you won't have to bother little mistakes.

Likes Mark44
fresh_42 said:
You spend way too much time on words. If this is so important to you, try to study Wittgenstein. You have the third thread on basically the same issue, and all contain the same answers. If they still do not satisfy you, then you should tell us what would! You can approach this question by pure logic (cp. relations and functions), mathematically (nobody cares the nuances of speech as long as the definitions are clear; and rule is no mathematical term), or philosophically (cp.Wittgenstein and analytic philosophy of language).

From a logical perspective: note that rule is not really defined. It is common language.
From a mathematical perspective: you are wasting your time.
From a philosophical perspective: Wittgenstein is the first address, but I will lead you away from mathematics.

Edit: If English isn't your native language and you are concerned about its correct usage, then I may quote what a mathematician once told me: "Scientific language is broken English." That means, as long as everybody knows what you are talking about, as long you won't have to bother little mistakes.

I am sorry fresh_42,
But Thankyou for your Help.

Mark44 said:
This part, f: N-->N, tells you that the function (named f here) pairs an input value from set N with an output value also from set N. By the way, N usually means the natural numbers, 0, 1, 2, 3, and so on.
This part, f(x)= 2x, tells you the rule, or formula -- how to get an output value from a given input value.

So f(3) is evaluated as 2*3, or 6. Similarly, f(5) = 2*5 = 10, and so on.
Thankyou Mark44 for helping.

I am sorry fresh_42,
But Thankyou for your Help.
You do not have to apologize. We merely want you to help and proceed. This sometimes means to sound hard. It is fairly simple: a function has only one output value per input value, which is it's definition and distinguishes it from relations in general. Now you have to tell how the mechanism is to find the output value: I just called it mechanism, others call it rule or just function, and the correct word is: definition of the function.

Better draw some examples and decide e.g. why squaring is a function, but its inverse relation is not.

Likes SHASHWAT PRATAP SING
fresh_42 said:
You do not have to apologize. We merely want you to help and proceed. This sometimes means to sound hard. It is fairly simple: a function has only one output value per input value, which is it's definition and distinguishes it from relations in general. Now you have to tell how the mechanism is to find the output value: I just called it mechanism, others call it rule or just function, and the correct word is: definition of the function.

Better draw some examples and decide e.g. why squaring is a function, but its inverse relation is not.

fresh_42 you have really helped me a lot . That's why I don't hesitate to ask questions even if it's small.Thankyou.

1. Why is a function called a rule?

A function is called a rule because it is a set of instructions or operations that take in inputs and produce outputs in a predictable and consistent manner. Just like a rule in a game or a rule in mathematics, a function follows a specific set of guidelines to achieve a desired outcome.

2. What is the purpose of a function being called a rule?

The purpose of calling a function a rule is to emphasize its role in providing structure and organization to a program or system. By following a set of rules, functions help to simplify complex tasks and make them more manageable.

3. How does a function being called a rule relate to mathematical functions?

The concept of a function as a rule comes from mathematics, where a function is defined as a relation between a set of inputs and a set of possible outputs. In both programming and mathematics, functions follow a set of rules to produce a specific output for a given input.

4. Can a function be called a rule if it doesn't have any inputs?

Yes, a function can still be called a rule even if it doesn't have any inputs. In this case, the function may still have a set of instructions or operations that produce a specific output, but without the need for any inputs.

5. Are there any other terms that can be used to describe a function besides "rule"?

Yes, there are other terms that can be used to describe a function, such as "procedure", "method", or "subroutine". However, "rule" is the most commonly used term as it emphasizes the idea of following a set of guidelines or instructions.