Why do we check this case?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
In summary: Therefore, no rational solutions exist.In summary, when dealing with the equation $X^2+Y^2=n$, where $n \equiv 3 \pmod 4$, it has no rational solutions. This can be proven by considering the equation $X^2+Y^2=nZ^2$ and checking cases modulo 4, where it can be shown that no solutions exist. Similarly, in the example of $x^2+y^2=3$, the modulo argument is used to eliminate the possibility of a rational solution.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Smile)

I am looking at the following exercise:

In general, the equation $X^2+Y^2=n$, when $n \equiv 3 \pmod 4$, has no rational solution.

According to my notes:

Let $x=\frac{a}{b}, y=\frac{c}{d}, a,b,c,d \in \mathbb{Z}, b \cdot d \neq 0, (a,b)=1, (c,d)=1$, solution of $X^2+Y^2=n$.

$$\frac{a^2}{b^2}+\frac{c^2}{d^2}=n \Rightarrow (ad)^2+(bc)^2=n(bd)^2$$

That means, that the equation $X^2+Y^2=n Z^2$ has an integer solution $(x_1, y_1, z_1)=(ad, bc, bd)$.

Without loss of generality, we suppose that $gcd(x_1,y_1,z_1)=1$.

If $2 \mid z_1 \Rightarrow x_1^2+y_1^2 \equiv 0 \pmod 4 \Rightarrow (2 \mid x_1 \wedge 2 \mid y_1) \Rightarrow 2 \mid (x_1,y_1,z_1)=1, \text{ Contradiction}$

Therefore, $z_1=2k+1, z_1^2 \equiv 1 \pmod 4$

$$\Rightarrow n z_1^2 \equiv n \cdot 1 \pmod 4 \equiv 3 \pmod 4$$

$$\Rightarrow x_1^2+y_1^2 \equiv 3 \pmod 4, \text{ Contradiction.}$$

Why do we check if $2 \mid z_1$ ? (Sweating)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$z_1$ can either be odd or even. If even, $z_1 = 0 \pmod{2}$ and hence $z_1^2 = 0 \pmod{4}$ and $x_1^2 + y_1^2 = 0 \pmod{4}$ leading to a contradiction as above.

If $z_1$ is odd, i.e., $z_1 = 1 \pmod{2}$ then $z_1^2 = 1 \pmod{4}$ in which case $x_1^2 + y_1^2 = 3 \pmod{4}$ which also leads to a contradiction.

It's a standard method in number theory to check case-by-case modulo something and eliminate the possibilities. That's what they have done above.

mathbalarka said:
$z_1$ can either be odd or even. If even, $z_1 = 0 \pmod{2}$ and hence $z_1^2 = 0 \pmod{4}$ and $x_1^2 + y_1^2 = 0 \pmod{4}$ leading to a contradiction as above.

If $z_1$ is odd, i.e., $z_1 = 1 \pmod{2}$ then $z_1^2 = 1 \pmod{4}$ in which case $x_1^2 + y_1^2 = 3 \pmod{4}$ which also leads to a contradiction.

It's a standard method in number theory to check case-by-case modulo something and eliminate the possibilities. That's what they have done above.

Ok.. but how can I know which modulo I should take?

For example, at this exercise: Show that $x^2+y^2=3$ has no rational solution, why do we check if $3 \mid x_1$ and not if $2 \mid x_1$ ? (Thinking)

That completely depends on the problem you're doing. It's more or less a "trick" of number theory of some sort.

In the example $X^2 + Y^2 = 3Z^2$ (where $\text{gcd}(X, Y, Z) = 1$), considering modulo $3$ provides an obvious way to "chuck out" $Z$ from the modulo argument, giving $X^2 + Y^2 = 0 \pmod{3}$. However, this is possible if and only if $X^2 = Y^2 = 0 \pmod{3}$ (why?) in which case $X = Y = 0 \pmod{3}$. But then $X^2 + Y^2 = 0\pmod{9}$, thus $3 | Z^2 \Rightarrow 3|Z$. But then $\text{gcd}(X, Y, Z)=3 \neq 1$, contrary to our assumption.

I can understand why it may seem redundant to check if 2 divides z1 in this case. However, it is an important step in the proof to ensure that our initial assumption of gcd(x1,y1,z1)=1 is correct. By checking if 2 divides z1, we are essentially checking if there is a common factor between x1 and y1, which would contradict our assumption. This step is crucial in proving that the equation X^2+Y^2=n has no rational solution when n is congruent to 3 mod 4.

1. Why is it important to check this case?

Checking a case is an essential step in the scientific method. It allows us to gather empirical evidence and test our hypotheses, ensuring that our conclusions are based on solid data.

2. How do we determine which cases to check?

The cases we check are typically chosen based on their relevance to our research question and the specific variables we are studying. We also consider factors such as accessibility and feasibility.

3. What happens if we don't check this case?

If we skip checking a case, we risk missing important information that could potentially impact our findings and conclusions. This could lead to inaccurate or incomplete results.

4. Can we generalize our findings if we only check a few cases?

While it is possible to make generalizations from a limited number of cases, it is generally recommended to check a larger sample size to increase the reliability and validity of our findings.

5. How often should we check cases?

The frequency of checking cases can vary depending on the nature of the research and the specific variables being studied. In general, it is important to regularly check cases throughout the research process to ensure the validity of our conclusions.