Why Do We Laugh at Jokes?

• Thread starter coverme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of what makes something funny and the role of laughter in social interaction. There are various theories, including the idea that jokes are structured to surprise and stimulate the "funny bone" in our brain, and that laughter is a form of social signaling. However, humor is also subjective and can be influenced by personal experiences and social dynamics. One person's sense of humor may differ from another's. The conversation also mentions the idea of using humor as a test for true artificial intelligence.
coverme
What's so funny?

what is central core that makes us laugh when we hear a joke?
Any scientific and philosophical ideas are welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org

The funny bone.

The brain is set up to seek answers. When something snaps into place, it is pleasurable. Jokes are structured to create the sharp transition to a surprise fit that tickles this funny bone.

Laughter is a bit more complicated as a reaction as it is more about social signalling, a play message.

But put the two together. We like the feeling of being surprised in a good way. And we show this is what we are feeling in laughter, a play signal. Because laughter is bonding and important to group dynamics, groups also encourage a culture of joke-making.

There are other theories of course - like the idea laughter is a social put-down, that it is simple incongruity that creates a response. But tickling the feeling of creative problem solving is the best way into an analysis.

Might be the question that solves the AI problem.

Problem is, humour is both personal and situational.

I've been told I have no sense of humour by people who repeat verbatim the lines of late night comedians the next morning. Though funny the night before, the repeated lines have no juxtapositional impact.

It's the surprise of ones concept of the universe turned upside down by a visual or verbal story that makes you realize you were wrong, that makes it funny for me.

There are people that laugh at people slipping on banana peel's, and there are those that do not. It may be a simple, single, neuronal difference, or a lifetime of experiences, that leads to the two different views of humour.

Though looking at apeiron's answer, I think I like it better. Never mind...

Cyrus said:
The funny bone.

and what is a funny bone? can you explain it to me please

coverme said:
and what is a funny bone? can you explain it to me please
It's a nerve that is stimulated when it strikes something humorous.

Huckleberry said:
It's a nerve that is stimulated when it strikes something humorous.

Thanks for making clear

Cyrus said:
The funny bone.

:smile::smile::smile:

are you always like this, never take anything seriously except for what you see serious..

I may go with apeiron and OmCheeto, the surrounding people whom sharing/telling this joke, do help you laugh or not...maybe an electrostatic field of you all fill the room and affects your special [laugh] signal acceptors in your brain then WALA...

OmCheeto said:
Might be the question that solves the AI problem.

Funny, this was the context of my old signature. In a book I read an AI programmer designed a joke for an AI program deciding that perhaps if the AI can "get it" then it would mean it had acheived true AI. When the AI wasn't getting it he wondered if maybe his joke just wasn't funny.

Q: Why did the self aware individual look into the mirror?

A: To get to the other side.

What's so funny?

1. Why do people laugh?

Laughter is a universal human behavior that is triggered by a variety of stimuli, such as a joke, a funny situation, or even physical sensations. It is a way for people to express joy, happiness, and amusement. It also serves as a social signal to indicate that something is funny and to create a bond between individuals.

2. Can everyone have the same sense of humor?

No, humor is subjective and can vary greatly from person to person. Factors such as culture, upbringing, and personal experiences can influence a person's sense of humor. What one person finds funny may not be amusing to another.

3. Is laughter good for our health?

Yes, laughter has been shown to have numerous health benefits. It can boost the immune system, reduce stress, improve mood, and even relieve pain. The act of laughing releases endorphins, which are feel-good chemicals that can improve overall well-being.

4. Why do we find certain things funny and others not?

Humor is a complex process that involves recognition, surprise, and incongruity. Our brain is constantly making predictions about what will happen next, and when those predictions are proven wrong in a harmless way, it can trigger laughter. This is why jokes and punchlines often work - they subvert our expectations in a clever way.

5. Can laughing too much be harmful?

In general, laughing is a harmless activity and is not harmful. However, if a person has a medical condition that is exacerbated by physical exertion or has a history of abdominal or chest pain, excessive laughter may cause discomfort. It is always important to listen to your body and stop if you experience any discomfort while laughing.