Why do we use CMYK color for printing?

In summary: The three primary colors of light, red, green, and blue, are the colors that are the most easily absorbed by ink. This is why most printing using CMYK colors exists in the lighter end of the color spectrum- because these colors are the easiest to subtract.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
cmyk
Relevant Equations
n/a
I will tell my research that i have done earlier here.

CMYK is used for print pieces like brochurers and business cards.
For RGB we need to start on black paper but we can't add light until we reach white because light can't be painted on surface, what does this bold content means to say?
in a monitor, light is being emitted (or added)when you add r,g,b you get white...in ink light is being absorbed(or subtracted) and when you absorb r,g,b you get black

if rgb is used, you get strange, muddy, and incorrect colors from printer. (but the question is why)

cmy cover most lighter color range quite easily compared to rgb.

I want if possible some mathematical representations of this...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
Homework Statement:: cmyk
Relevant Equations:: n/a

I will tell my research that i have done earlier here.

CMYK is used for print pieces like brochurers and business cards.
For RGB we need to start on black paper but we can't add light until we reach white because light can't be painted on surface, what does this bold content means to say?
in a monitor, light is being emitted (or added)when you add r,g,b you get white...in ink light is being absorbed(or subtracted) and when you absorb r,g,b you get black

if rgb is used, you get strange, muddy, and incorrect colors from printer. (but the question is why)

cmy cover most lighter color range quite easily compared to rgb.

I want if possible some mathematical representations of this...thanks
The difference is that with light (using RGB or RGBA) the colors are projected, with changes that are additive, but with paints (CMYK) the color changes are subtractive (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model).

Likes jim mcnamara
Mark44 said:
The difference is that with light (using RGB or RGBA) the colors are projected, with changes that are additive, but with paints (CMYK) the color changes are subtractive (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model).
so how does additive and subtractive ness means we need to use cmyk for printing? i didn't get that thing..

shivajikobardan said:
so how does additive and subtractive ness means we need to use cmyk for printing? i didn't get that thing..
Did you read the Wikipedia link that Mark posted? Which part is confusing you?

When light reflects from a printed page, the ink absorbs (subtracts) certain wavelengths (colors) from the incoming light, to produce the reflected light.

1. Why do we use CMYK color for printing?

CMYK color is used for printing because it is a subtractive color model, meaning that it works by subtracting colors from white light to create a range of colors. This is necessary for printing because it allows for a wider range of colors to be created by mixing cyan, magenta, yellow, and black inks together.

2. What is the difference between CMYK and RGB?

CMYK and RGB are two different color models used for different purposes. CMYK is used for printing, while RGB is used for digital displays. The main difference is that CMYK is a subtractive color model, while RGB is an additive color model. This means that CMYK works by subtracting colors from white light, while RGB works by adding colors to black light.

3. Can I print a CMYK image using an RGB printer?

Technically, yes, you can print a CMYK image using an RGB printer. However, the colors may not come out as expected since the printer is using a different color model. It is best to use a printer that is specifically designed for CMYK printing to ensure accurate color reproduction.

4. Why is black represented by "K" in CMYK?

The "K" in CMYK stands for "key," which refers to the key plate used in traditional printing processes. This plate is responsible for printing the black color in an image. Using "K" instead of "B" for black helps to avoid confusion with the color blue, which is represented by "B" in the RGB color model.

5. Is CMYK the only color model used for printing?

No, CMYK is not the only color model used for printing. There are other color models, such as Pantone and RGB, that are also used in different printing processes. However, CMYK is the most commonly used color model for commercial printing due to its ability to produce a wide range of colors and its cost-effectiveness.