Why do we use Newtons of force over trig functions?

• Thread starter IBdoomed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set Trig
In summary, the tension in the cable attached to the ceiling can be calculated using the equation Ft= 50N/ Cos(25). This is because in this problem, you know the vertical component has to balance the weight of the mass, and the trig expression can be rearranged to find the adjacent side or hypotenuse, depending on what information is given.
IBdoomed
The problem is as follows: A mass is held by two cables attached to a wall and ceiling. The mass M is 5 kg and the angle between the string and the vertical is θ= 25°

a) Determine the tension in the cable attached to the ceiling.

I know that the answer is 55 N (because she posted the teacher posted the answers), and i know that the answer was derived by using the equation Ft= 50N/ Cos(25)

My question is why does the equation look like this when in other problems the answer comes from "magnitude of vector * desired trig function(θ)"

Bottom line: what key information tell me to put the Newtons of force over the trig function?

PLEASE LEMME KNOW ASAP CUZ THE TEST IS TOMORROW! :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
IBdoomed said:
The problem is as follows: A mass is held by two cables attached to a wall and ceiling. The mass M is 5 kg and the angle between the string and the vertical is θ= 25°

a) Determine the tension in the cable attached to the ceiling.

I know that the answer is 55 N (because she posted the teacher posted the answers), and i know that the answer was derived by using the equation Ft= 50N/ Cos(25)

My question is why does the equation look like this when in other problems the answer comes from "magnitude of vector * desired trig function(θ)"

Bottom line: what key information tell me to put the Newtons of force over the trig function?

PLEASE LEMME KNOW ASAP CUZ THE TEST IS TOMORROW! :confused:

In this case you know the vertical component has to balance the weight of the mass. In the problems you are alluding, we know the tension in the string and are trying to find the components.

Take the trig expression.

Cosθ = Adj / hypot.

If you want to calculate the adjacent side this re-arranges to Adj = hypt * cosθ

If you want the hypotenuse, this re-arranges to hypot = adj / cosθ

similar arrangements with sin ad tan.

1. What is a basic trig equation?

A basic trig equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These equations are commonly used to solve for missing angles or side lengths in triangles.

2. How do you set up a basic trig equation?

The first step in setting up a basic trig equation is to identify the given information and what you are trying to solve for. Then, choose the appropriate trigonometric function based on the given information. Finally, use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in setting up equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in setting up equations include the Pythagorean identity (sin²x + cos²x = 1), the double angle identities (sin2x = 2sinx cosx, cos2x = cos²x - sin²x), and the half-angle identities (sin(x/2) = ±√[(1 - cosx)/2], cos(x/2) = ±√[(1 + cosx)/2]).

4. How do you solve a trig equation with multiple angles?

If the trig equation has multiple angles, you can use trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and reduce it to a single angle. Then, you can solve for the single angle using the steps mentioned in the previous questions.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when setting up basic trig equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid when setting up basic trig equations include using the wrong trigonometric function, not considering the domain of the function, and not simplifying the equation before solving for the variable. It is also important to be careful with signs and units when working with trigonometric identities.