Why do wet things stick together?

• Thread starter Kenan
  • Start date
In summary, the concept of disjoining pressure and capillary pressure is difficult to understand because it depends on the size of the molecules.
Kenan
I know pretty well what is surface tension,adhesion and cohesion.

I do know that at the very top of the water molecules of water are not balanced by other pulling forces so they create a straight line but this line bends into a circle because of another layer of water molecules below them,that's why soap bubbles have such round form and that's why water in the space is round,this line also allows slight deformations so other bodies can be put on it like insects who just stand on water or the needle on the water example.

But I cannot understand why does wet sand stick to other wet sand,why do wet hair stick together,why does wet glass stick to another wet glass.I don't understand what does wet sand stickiness have to do with the surface tension,it just does not really make any sense to me.

I know that it depends,like glass won't get wet if cohesion is stronger than adhesion and vice versa - glass will get wet cause adhesion is stronger than cohesion but these examples are for 2 bodies - water and some other material but in sticky examples we have 3 bodies - water,glass number 1,glass number 2 - that's why I'm so puzzled right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Water is a polar molecule. The positive parts of one water molecule want to stick to the negative parts of other water molecules.

Likes mrspeedybob and DaveC426913
Kenan said:
<snip>But I cannot understand why does wet sand stick to other wet sand,why do wet hair stick together,why does wet glass stick to another wet glass.I don't understand what does wet sand stickiness have to do with the surface tension,it just does not really make any sense to me.

The concept is called 'disjoining pressure' and/or 'capillary pressure', and it can be quite large. Disjoining pressure typically applies to the molecular scale, while capillary pressure can be used once you can treat the fluid as a continuum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disjoining_pressure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_pressure

For capillary pressure, the origin of the high pressure is the pressure jump that occurs across the edges of the film, where the fluid curvature is very high- it is very difficult to displace the (say) water with (say) air- or displace oil with water, in the case of oil recovery from porous rock.

1. Why do wet things stick together?

Wet things stick together because of a phenomenon known as surface tension. When water molecules come into contact with each other, they form strong bonds that create a cohesive force, making them stick together. This is why drops of water form round shapes and why wet surfaces tend to cling to each other.

2. Does the temperature of the water affect its stickiness?

Yes, the temperature of the water does affect its stickiness. Warmer water has weaker surface tension, so wet things may not stick together as well compared to colder water. This is why it's easier to mix ingredients in cold water when cooking, as the ingredients are less likely to stick together.

3. How does soap affect the stickiness of wet things?

Soap can reduce the stickiness of wet things because it breaks down the surface tension of water. This is why soap is used to clean surfaces or dishes that have been coated in oil or grease, as it allows the water to better penetrate and wash away the substances.

4. Can two wet things with different liquids stick together?

Yes, two wet things with different liquids can stick together. However, the strength of the bond will depend on the surface tension of the liquids and how well they mix together. For example, water and oil have different surface tensions, so they tend to not mix well and may not stick together as strongly as two wet things with the same liquid.

5. Why do wet things sometimes repel each other?

Wet things may repel each other if they have the same charge. Water molecules have a slight negative charge, so two wet things with water on their surfaces may repel each other. This is why droplets of water on a surface tend to spread out and not stick together. Other factors such as surface tension and the type of liquid can also affect whether wet things will stick or repel each other.