Why do words and mathematics seem to have different levels of complexity?

• Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, complex numbers are complex because they have more than one part, and math is complex because its simple.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Hi PF

Don't you think that natural logarithm is not that natural, and complex numbers are not that complex? Words are absolutely necessary, but are so imprecise... For example, to write this post, and make this message clear, as I'm not native, I've had to look at Cambridge Dictionary online (Is this the word? :smile: ), and haven't still found entry without less than two meanings, except if it belongs to a very specific field. But maths...If introduce "e number wikipedia" search input (hope not to be kicking English once more), I get lots of words, but if I say ##e##, it's magic.

Love, greetings.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've always understood that complex numbers are indeed complex, but in the other meaning of the word. So they consists of several parts, are a composite.

And, depending who you ask, they can also be pretty difficult ;).

Lastly, we've invented math (and in particular the notation) to not be dependent on words anymore for exactly the reason you've mentioned. I believe that in the early days math problems and solutions were given in story like fashion... we've come a long way :).

Likes mcastillo356
Arjan82 said:
I believe that in the early days math problems and solutions were given in story like fashion... we've come a long way :).
It was not so much a "be given" as it was an elimination race. To my best knowledge, there first were the imaginary numbers, zeros of polynomials which you cannot see (on the real number line). Multiplication of two composite numbers isn't really composite anymore as it is complex.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Math is complex because its simple

You can build complex chains of logic without math (legal arguments for example) but they don't have the same stable foundation to build on, so there is a limit to the complexity

Likes mcastillo356
BWV said:
You can build complex chains of logic without math (legal arguments for example) but they don't have the same stable foundation to build on, so there is a limit to the complexity
Ugh. That's not a good example. Legal arguments has no limit of complexity (other than the salary of the involved lawyers :oldbiggrin: )

• Haha
Likes BillTre and BWV
mcastillo356 said:
Words are absolutely necessary, but are so imprecise
That's why physics uses math to actually describe things. Words are more for pop-science presentations.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356

1. Why do some people find words easier to understand than mathematics?

One possible reason for this is that humans have been exposed to language and words since birth, making it a more familiar and natural concept to grasp. In contrast, mathematics is a more abstract concept that requires logical reasoning and problem-solving skills.

2. Is it possible to master both words and mathematics equally?

Yes, with practice and dedication, it is possible to develop proficiency in both words and mathematics. While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards one over the other, both skills can be improved through learning and practice.

3. Are there any similarities between words and mathematics?

Despite their apparent differences, words and mathematics have some similarities. Both rely on a set of rules and symbols to convey meaning and can be used to express complex ideas and concepts.

4. Can someone be good at words but struggle with mathematics, or vice versa?

Yes, individuals can have different strengths and weaknesses in different areas, including words and mathematics. Some people may excel in one but find the other challenging. This does not mean that they are not capable of improving in these areas.

5. How do words and mathematics interact with each other in real-life situations?

In everyday life, words and mathematics often work together to help us communicate and understand the world around us. For example, we use mathematical concepts to quantify and measure things, while words are used to describe and express these measurements.