Why does A.A = ||A||^2 in the scalar product formula?

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof for A.A = ||A||^2 and the use of this result in proving A.B = ||A||||B||cos(theta). The talk then shifts to discussing the proof for vector product and its difficulty. Finally, the correct formula for vector product is clarified.
prashant singh
Why A.A = ||A||^2 , I know that from product rule we can prove this where theta =0 , I am asking this because I have seen many proves for A.B = ||A||||B||cos(theta) and to prove this they have used A.A = ||A||^2, how can they use this , this is the result of dot product formula. I havee seen every where even on Wikipedia they have used this method only

Mathematics news on Phys.org
prashant singh said:
Why A.A = ||A||^2
That's the definition of a norm.

Likes prashant singh
Okk , can u give me the proof of vector product,or tell me the about the difficulty or knowledge requires to prove this

blue_leaf77 said:
That's the definition of a norm.

prashant singh said:
vector product
Do you mean "scalar product"?

No ,vector product, A X B = ||A||||B||sin(theta)
blue_leaf77 said:
Do you mean "scalar product"?

prashant singh said:
Do you want to prove that the magnitude of ##\vec{A}\times \vec{B}## is equal to ##|\vec{A}| |\vec{B}| \sin \theta##?

Yess
blue_leaf77 said:
Do you want to prove that the magnitude of ##\vec{A}\times \vec{B}## is equal to ##|\vec{A}| |\vec{B}| \sin \theta##?

The proof is tedious and might look unattractive if one were to outline it here, for this purpose I will simply refer you to this link.

prashant singh said:
This formula is not correct. On the left side, A X B is a vector. On the right side ##|A||B|\sin(\theta)## is a scalar. As already noted, ##|A||B|\sin(\theta)## is equal to the magnitude of A X B; that is, |A X B|.

prashant singh said:
Why A.A = ||A||^2 , I know that from product rule we can prove this where theta =0 , I am asking this because I have seen many proves for A.B = ||A||||B||cos(theta) and to prove this they have used A.A = ||A||^2, how can they use this , this is the result of dot product formula. I havee seen every where even on Wikipedia they have used this method only
http://clas.sa.ucsb.edu/staff/alex/DotProductDerivation.pdf

Above may help.

prashant singh said:
Why A.A = ||A||^2 , I know that from product rule we can prove this where theta =0 , I am asking this because I have seen many proves for A.B = ||A||||B||cos(theta) and to prove this they have used A.A = ||A||^2, how can they use this , this is the result of dot product formula. I have seen every where even on Wikipedia they have used this method only
prashant singh said:
No ,vector product, (magnitude of) A X B = ||A||||B||sin(theta)
If you want to prove either:
AB = |A| |B| cos(θ)​
or
|A×B| = |A| |B| sin(θ)​
, you need to give the definitions you are using for scalar product and vector product.

Likes prashant singh and ProfuselyQuarky
I forget to write it as |A X B|
Mark44 said:
This formula is not correct. On the left side, A X B is a vector. On the right side ##|A||B|\sin(\theta)## is a scalar. As already noted, ##|A||B|\sin(\theta)## is equal to the magnitude of A X B; that is, |A X B|.

prashant singh said:
I forget to write it as |A X B|
If you forget to write the absolute value symbols, you will mistake a vector for a scalar (a number).

I know that

Mark44 said:
If you forget to write the absolute value symbols, you will mistake a vector for a scalar (a number).

1. Why does A.A = ||A||^2 in the scalar product formula?

The scalar product formula, also known as the dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. In the formula A.A, we are taking the dot product of vector A with itself. This results in a scalar value that represents the length of vector A squared. This is why A.A = ||A||^2 in the scalar product formula.

2. How is the scalar product formula derived?

The scalar product formula is derived from the geometric definition of the dot product. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of two vectors and then adding the products together. This results in a scalar value that represents the projection of one vector onto the other, or the length of the vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the two vectors.

3. What is the significance of A.A = ||A||^2 in the scalar product formula?

A.A = ||A||^2 in the scalar product formula is significant because it allows us to calculate the magnitude of a vector without having to explicitly find its length. This is particularly useful in higher dimensional spaces where calculating the length of a vector can become more complex. It also has important applications in physics and engineering, where it is used to calculate work, energy, and other physical quantities.

4. Can A.A = ||A||^2 be used for any type of vector?

Yes, A.A = ||A||^2 can be used for any type of vector, including both two-dimensional and three-dimensional vectors. It can also be extended to higher dimensional spaces. However, it is important to note that the scalar product formula is only defined for vectors in Euclidean space, and may not be applicable to other types of vector spaces.

5. Is A.A = ||A||^2 always true in the scalar product formula?

Yes, A.A = ||A||^2 is always true in the scalar product formula. This is because the dot product of a vector with itself always results in a scalar value that represents the length of the vector squared. This property is consistent regardless of the dimensionality or direction of the vector, making it a fundamental concept in linear algebra and vector calculus.