Why does a black body never turn green when heated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why a black body does not turn green when heated. It is mentioned that the color transitions from infrared to red, orange, yellow, and then white before eventually reaching blue. Quantum mechanics is suggested as a possible explanation. However, it is pointed out that the color white is a combination of red, green, and blue, so a body that appears white may actually have all three colors present. The conversation concludes with a reference to the mnemonic "ROYGBIV" to summarize the color transitions.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I think it has been asked a lot of times and explained a lot of times, but as I've never seen the answer I post my question here.
Why does a black body never becomes green when it is heated? It pass from infrarred to red, orange, yellow but instead of passing to green, it then passes by white... and then blue, etc. I guess there's something quantum mechanics can explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
No it's purely physiological
Green is the middle of the visible spectrum so anybody heated to produce green will also produce a lot of red and blue. Red + green + blue looks white.

The old "ROYGBIV" for red-orange-yellow-green-blue-indigo-violet summarizes the color transitions...

Ah thanks to both. I didn't realize that when a body is white, it means it's blue, green and red.

Related to Why does a black body never turn green when heated?

1) What is a black body color?

A black body color is an object that absorbs all wavelengths of light and reflects no light back, making it appear black. It is a theoretical concept used in physics to describe the behavior of an idealized object that absorbs and emits radiation.

2) Why do black objects get hotter in the sun?

Black objects absorb all wavelengths of light, including those responsible for heat. When these wavelengths are absorbed, they are converted into thermal energy, causing the object to heat up. This is why black objects tend to feel warmer in the sun compared to lighter colored objects that reflect more light.

3) Are black bodies found in nature?

While there are no perfect black bodies found in nature, there are many examples of objects that exhibit similar behaviors. For example, a black hole is often described as a black body because it absorbs all light and emits no radiation, just like an ideal black body. Similarly, some animals have evolved dark skin or fur to absorb more heat from the sun.

4) How is black body radiation related to temperature?

Black body radiation is the electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body. The intensity and spectrum of this radiation depend on the temperature of the black body. As the temperature of a black body increases, the intensity of the radiation also increases and shifts to shorter wavelengths, with the peak intensity occurring at a specific wavelength determined by the temperature.

5) What is the significance of black body colors in astronomy?

In astronomy, black body colors are used to study the temperature and composition of celestial objects. By analyzing the spectrum of radiation emitted by these objects, scientists can determine their temperature and compare it to that of an ideal black body. This information can provide valuable insights into the physical properties and behavior of these objects.