Why does a glass topple when the cloth is pulled from under it

• Thread starter N53nick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the movement of the glass when the cloth is pulled slowly can be explained by the concept of inertia, while its ability to stay put when jerked from underneath is due to the principle of torque. However, when pulled faster, the glass topples because it has to overcome the force of static friction between the cloth and the glass, which is affected by the kinetic friction. The involvement of torque in this scenario is still unclear.
N53nick
When the cloth is pulled slowly, the glass moves with the cloth, when pulled faster, it topples. When jerked from underneath the glass, the glass stays put. Explain in terms of inertia and torque.

I think I have the first and last part, I'm confused about why it topples, however. Any help at all is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Explain your ideas so far.

my ideas are:

when it's pulled faster, it has to overcome the force of the static friction, as the cloth does move underneath the glass. I believe the kinetic friction is what is affecting it, but I'm not sure where torque is involved

1. Why does a glass topple when the cloth is pulled from under it?

When the cloth is pulled from under the glass, the glass experiences a change in its center of mass. This causes a shift in the balance of forces acting on the glass, causing it to topple.

2. Is there a specific angle at which the glass will topple?

The angle at which the glass will topple depends on factors such as the weight and shape of the glass, as well as the friction between the glass and the surface it is resting on. Therefore, there is no specific angle at which the glass will always topple.

3. Can the speed at which the cloth is pulled affect the toppling of the glass?

Yes, the speed at which the cloth is pulled can affect the toppling of the glass. If the cloth is pulled too slowly, the glass may have time to adjust to the change in forces and remain standing. However, if the cloth is pulled quickly, the glass is more likely to topple.

4. Why does the glass sometimes remain standing when the cloth is pulled from under it?

The glass may remain standing if the pulling force is not strong enough to overcome the force of friction between the glass and the surface it is resting on. In this case, the glass will simply slide along with the cloth and not topple.

5. Can the material of the cloth affect the toppling of the glass?

Yes, the material of the cloth can affect the toppling of the glass. A cloth with a higher coefficient of friction will provide more resistance against the glass and therefore make it more likely to topple. Additionally, a thicker or heavier cloth may also have a greater effect on the glass's center of mass, increasing the chances of toppling.