Why Does a Sealed Chip Bag Expand at High Altitudes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the reason behind a sealed packet of potato chips inflating like a balloon when taken to the top of a mountain on a cloudy day. The two possible reasons mentioned are the difference in air temperature and atmospheric pressure between the inside and outside of the packet. It is explained that atmospheric pressure decreases with altitude, causing the pressure inside the packet to be higher than the pressure outside, resulting in the packet inflating. The conversation also mentions an experiment using a glass jar and a vacuum pump to demonstrate this concept.
Jam Smith
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
I am not tech savvy. But I like to solve quiz relates math and physics.

I was solving such questions and come across this question.
"On a cloudy day, a sealed packet of potato chips is taken to the top of a mountain. The packet is found to be blown up like a balloon."

What is the reason behind it?

I found two reasons as per my knowledge,
1. The air outside the packet is hotter than the air inside the packet or
2. The air outside is now at a lower pressure than the air inside the packet.

Which one is the right reason? Please guide me in detail.

Physics news on Phys.org
Atmospheric pressure decreases with altitude. The potato chip bag was sealed at the surface of the earth, so the pressure in the bag is the surface pressure. The pressure at the top of the mountain is less than surface pressure. So the inside pressure is higher than the outside pressure, and the bag inflates like a balloon.

Likes Jam Smith
Jam Smith said:
1. The air outside the packet is hotter than the air inside the packet
Why would that cause the packet to blow up?

The air inside expands until the pressure inside is the same as that outside.

Some weather balloons explode at height.

CWatters said:
The air inside expands until the pressure inside is the same as that outside.
Or until the bag becomes taut, thereby maintaining a pressure difference.

Likes Jam Smith and CWatters
There used to be a nice little experiment shown in junior physics classes at my school .

A large glass jar had two tubes through the stopper . The end of one tube inside the jar was fitted with a small uninflated balloon . When the other tube was connected to a low power vacuum pump the balloon slowly inflated .

mjc123 said:
Why would that cause the packet to blow up?
I was not sure about the concept,
I have read that the air has a certain amount of heat, which it carries with it as it rises. So just assumed about this possiblity.

haruspex said:
Or until the bag becomes taut, thereby maintaining a pressure difference.

Chestermiller said:
Atmospheric pressure decreases with altitude...

Thanks for the guidence. This information helped me to find proper reasons of my question.

Related to Why Does a Sealed Chip Bag Expand at High Altitudes?

What is pressure?

Pressure is defined as the force per unit area. It is the amount of force distributed over a given area.

How is pressure calculated?

Pressure is calculated by dividing the force exerted on an object by the area over which the force is applied. The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

What units are used to measure pressure?

Pressure is commonly measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2). Other units that may be used include atmospheres (atm), pounds per square inch (psi), and millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

How does pressure affect objects?

Pressure can have various effects on objects depending on the situation. For example, high pressure can compress gases, while low pressure can cause gases to expand. Pressure can also cause objects to deform or break if the force applied is too great.

What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

According to Boyle's Law, there is an inverse relationship between pressure and volume. This means that as pressure increases, volume decreases and vice versa, as long as temperature remains constant. This relationship is described by the equation P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, and P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume.