Why does a spinning top balance better when it is spinning?

In summary, a spinning top falls over because of its balance. It "works" because it is easier to spin on its axis when it is in balance. These videos help to understand the concept better.
Andrew Wright
TL;DR Summary
Christmas cracker spinning top makes me think it should fall over.
I took a spinning top out of a christmas cracker and watched it for a while. So I think a spinning top should just fall over like it does when it is at rest. Why does it "work"? It balances better when you spin it on its axis.

Likes sophiecentaur
Physics news on Phys.org
This video should help you understand it.

• Informative
Likes jedishrfu, sophiecentaur, vela and 2 others
How should I understand it when she is talking about "rising ups", "eggs", "frictions" all the time...

• Skeptical
Likes davenn and weirdoguy
scottdave said:

What a great video! Thanks for sharing.

Likes jedishrfu and davenn
zoki85 said:
How should I understand it when she is talking about "rising ups", "eggs", "frictions" all the time...
Have you watched this great clip to the end. It's very well explained!

Likes jedishrfu and davenn
vanhees71 said:
Have you watched this great clip to the end. It's very well explained!
I'd guess it is but there were too many subliminal messages of a different kind so it was hard for me to follow...

• Skeptical
zoki85 said:
I'd guess it is but there were too many subliminal messages of a different kind so it was hard for me to follow...
Huh ? I'm not sure you understand that word.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
Huh ? I'm not sure you understand that word.
*subconscious* fits better perhaps

• Skeptical
zoki85 said:
*subconscious* fits better perhaps
So what are the subconscious messages in that video?

zoki85 said:
This was just one I picked. There are dozens of videos about gyroscopes. I would definitely watch several of them: gyroscopic behavior goes against our intuition. Watching several different people explain it in slightly different ways can help it to sink in.

Likes sophiecentaur
phinds said:
So what are the subconscious messages in that video?
@zoki85 I'm still waiting for your answer to this.

1577483535300.png

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
scottdave said:
Now I'm going to have to hard-boil an egg and try it out myself!

Likes vanhees71 and jedishrfu

1. Why does a spinning top balance better when it is spinning?

When a spinning top is in motion, it creates a gyroscopic effect which helps to stabilize its position. This is due to the conservation of angular momentum, where the top's spinning motion creates a torque that counteracts any external forces trying to tip it over.

2. How does the spinning motion of a top affect its balance?

The spinning motion of a top creates a force called angular momentum, which acts perpendicular to the direction of motion. This force helps to keep the top upright and stable, as it resists any external forces that may try to change its position.

3. Does the shape or weight of a spinning top affect its balance?

Yes, the shape and weight distribution of a spinning top can affect its balance. A top with a wider base and more weight at the bottom will have a lower center of gravity, making it more stable and less likely to tip over.

4. Why does a top eventually fall over even when it is spinning?

Despite the gyroscopic effect and conservation of angular momentum, a top will eventually fall over due to friction and other external forces. As the top slows down, its stability decreases and it becomes more susceptible to being tipped over by these forces.

5. Can a top balance better when it is not spinning?

No, a top requires its spinning motion to maintain its balance. Without the gyroscopic effect and angular momentum, it will not have the stability to remain upright and will easily fall over due to external forces.