Why does an ideal voltmeter have infinite resistance?

In summary, the voltmeter is convenient because it allows us to discuss measurements that don't change the network it is connected to.
Leo Liu
Context:
1643602111468.png

What I don't understand is why the little current that flows through the converted voltmeter can affect the measurement when the resistance of the resistor added to the ammeter is not infinite. Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Leo Liu said:
Context:
View attachment 296294
What I don't understand is why the little current that flows through the converted voltmeter can affect the measurement when the resistance of the resistor added to the ammeter is not infinite. Can someone please explain this to me? Thanks.
I think it is simply a convenience so that we can discuss a voltage measurement that doesn't change the network it is connected to. You certainly can have a voltmeter with finite shunt resistance, but then the voltage you measure might not be the same as the voltage between those circuit nodes before or after the meter is connected. This is because the current that would flow through the voltmeter would change the result.

Likes vanhees71 and sysprog
An analog voltmeter has an indicator needle that is driven by coils which have a finite resistance that is adjusted for in the calibration.

Oops, sorry, I didn't really answer your question. The short version is that whatever current flows through the voltmeter must also flow through the circuit network you are measuring. This will cause additional voltage drops and redistribute the various node voltages.

Consider this simple circuit, with the ammeter having zero resistance (not including R):

20220130_215728.jpg

The voltage across R2 will be 1V when R=∞, or when the voltmeter is disconnected. The current through R1, I1=1mA.
But if R=1KΩ, then that would be the same as if R2=500Ω, in which case the voltage across R2 is 0.556V with the current through R1 being 1.11mA, equally divided between R2 and the meter.
Then in the extreme case of R=0, the voltage is 0V, the current through R1 is 1.25mA and it all flows through the meter.

• Love
Likes vanhees71, Leo Liu and sysprog
DaveE said:
Ah I see. Thanks a lot!

Likes berkeman and DaveE

1. Why is infinite resistance important in an ideal voltmeter?

Infinite resistance is important in an ideal voltmeter because it ensures that no current will flow through the voltmeter when it is connected in parallel with a circuit. This allows the voltmeter to accurately measure the voltage without affecting the circuit's behavior.

2. Can a real voltmeter have infinite resistance?

No, a real voltmeter cannot have infinite resistance. In real voltmeters, there will always be some small amount of resistance, which can affect the accuracy of the voltage measurement. However, modern voltmeters have very high resistance values, typically in the range of millions of ohms, which makes them behave similarly to an ideal voltmeter.

3. How does infinite resistance affect the sensitivity of a voltmeter?

Infinite resistance makes a voltmeter very sensitive to changes in voltage. This is because even a small amount of current flowing through the voltmeter can significantly affect the voltage measurement. Therefore, a high resistance voltmeter can detect even small changes in voltage.

4. What happens if a voltmeter does not have infinite resistance?

If a voltmeter does not have infinite resistance, it will draw some current from the circuit when connected in parallel. This will cause a voltage drop, affecting the accuracy of the voltage measurement. Additionally, the presence of the voltmeter can also change the behavior of the circuit being measured.

5. Is infinite resistance the only factor that affects the accuracy of a voltmeter?

No, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of a voltmeter, such as the quality of the components and the calibration of the instrument. However, infinite resistance is a crucial factor in ensuring that the voltmeter does not interfere with the circuit being measured and provides accurate voltage readings.