Why does atmospheric pressure not affect SVP?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of saturated vapour pressure (SVP) and its relationship to ambient pressure. SVP comes into play when the partial pressure in the gas phase reaches the SVP, causing liquid to form. Otherwise, the gas phase behaves like an ideal gas mixture. At SVP, any further increase in pressure will cause liquification of some of the gaseous phase, but the vapour remains saturated. The ambient pressure has no effect at this point. The conversation also expressed appreciation for the subject of physics.
Roshan Patel
I'm an anaesthetist... I have exams coming up... I use lots of gases and vapours and need to appreciate the associated physics.

My question relates to saturated vapour pressure and ambient pressure...

SVP increases with temperature - more molecules have sufficient energy to escape the surface/increased temp increases rate of endothermic reactions.

When a substance is below its SVP it behaves more or less as an ideal gas such that reducing volume/increasing pressure increases the partial pressure of the vapour within the mixture in accordance to Dalton's law.

What I do not understand is why at SVP pressure has no effect. I have seen this time and again but no explanation is given..

I would kindly appreciate clarification on this.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SVP comes into play when the partial pressure in the gas phase reaches the SVP, in which case liquid can begin forming. Otherwise, the gas phase behaves just like an ideal gas mixture. For the SVP to be involved, you have to have liquid present or you have to have liquid on the verge of being present.

Chet

Hi Chet,

Thanks for your response.

I think I get it - at SVP any further increase in pressure will cause liquification of some of the gaseous phase but the vapour remains saturated. This ambient pressure has no effect...

Thanks again...

I forgot how cool physics is - once you get it, it's a great feeling..

1. Why does atmospheric pressure not affect SVP?

Atmospheric pressure does not affect SVP (Saturated Vapor Pressure) because SVP is a property of a substance that is determined by its temperature, not the surrounding pressure. As the temperature of a substance increases, its SVP also increases, and vice versa.

2. How does temperature affect SVP?

Temperature affects SVP because it is a measure of the amount of energy in a substance. As temperature increases, the molecules in a substance have more energy and are able to break free from their liquid state and enter the gas phase, increasing the SVP.

3. Does atmospheric pressure have any impact on boiling point?

Yes, atmospheric pressure does have an impact on boiling point. As atmospheric pressure increases, the boiling point of a substance also increases. This is because the higher pressure pushes down on the substance, making it more difficult for molecules to escape into the gas phase.

4. How does altitude affect atmospheric pressure and SVP?

As altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases due to the decrease in the weight of the air above. However, this decrease in atmospheric pressure does not affect SVP. SVP is solely dependent on temperature and is not affected by changes in pressure.

5. Can atmospheric pressure affect the phase of a substance?

Yes, atmospheric pressure can affect the phase of a substance. Changes in pressure can cause a substance to transition from one phase to another, such as from liquid to gas or vice versa. However, atmospheric pressure does not directly affect SVP, which is a property of a substance at a specific temperature.