Why does Canadian government redefine the trademark as MC/MD?

• Thread starter trueo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marks
In summary, the Canadian government uses the trademark designations of "TM/MC" for unregistered marks and "TM/MD" for registered marks due to the country's bilingual nature. There may also be an asterisk and note indicating the type of trademark used. To find a superscript TM/MC/MD, one can use a character set that supports trademark symbols, such as LaTeX with international language support packages. However, there is no special character for an unregistered trademark in French. Additional information can be found at the provided sources.
trueo
Why does Canadian government redefine the trademark as MC/MD instead of just using TM ?
By the way, without using the sup tags, where can I find a tiny super TM/MC/MD ? I can't find them in my Character Map.

I found this ® but this isn't what I want, I would like the superscript :cry: MD/MC

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's because Canada is a bilingual country:
“TM/MC” (trade-mark/marque de commerce) for an unregistered mark
“TM/MD” (trade-mark/marque deposée) for a registered mark.

The bilingual approach has an asterisk by the trademark and some note like:

* reg-TM/MD Acme Corp or
* TM/MC Acme Corp

for registered and unregistered trademarks.

per your question:
You need to use a character set that supports a trademark symbol - simple as that.
Not all fonts support all characters.

LaTeX supports trademark symbols and has international language support packages.
(but not PFLatex it seems: [itex]\text{\textregistered}[/itex] ... see?)

In English you use the (R) and TM marks you are familiar with - but the French version of (R) is (E) for "enrigistrée". IFAIK there is no special character for an unregistered trademark in the French.

See also:
http://www.bereskinparr.com/SubSection/About_Intellectual_Property/Trademarks/Use_
http://www.progressmedia.ca/article/2008/07/protecting-your-brand-canada-2

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Why does Canadian government redefine the trademark as MC/MD?

1. Why did the Canadian government change the trademark from MC/MD?

The Canadian government changed the trademark from MC/MD in order to comply with international trademark standards. The use of MC (Member of the Order of Canada) and MD (Doctor of Medicine) in trademarks could be misleading for consumers and potentially violate trademark laws.

2. How does this change affect businesses and individuals using MC/MD in their trademarks?

Businesses and individuals using MC/MD in their trademarks will need to update their branding in order to comply with the new regulations. This may require changing the wording or design of their logo, packaging, and marketing materials.

3. Will this change have any impact on the quality or authenticity of products and services?

No, this change is purely administrative and does not affect the quality or authenticity of products and services. It simply ensures that trademarks are in line with international standards and do not mislead consumers.

4. Are there any exceptions to the new regulations for using MC/MD in trademarks?

Yes, there are some exceptions for trademarks that have been in use for a considerable amount of time and have already established a strong reputation. These exceptions will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.

5. How will the Canadian government enforce this change in trademarks?

The Canadian government will enforce this change through the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO). Businesses and individuals will be required to update their trademarks in order to comply with the new regulations. Failure to do so may result in legal action by the CIPO.