Why Does Compound C Exhibit a Higher Rate of Solvolysis Than Compound D?

In summary: What is the solvent? 'Solvolysis implies rxn with solvent.In summary, the compound C has more rate of solvolysis in 50% EtOH/HOH solution at 45°C than the compound D. This might be due to the phenyl substituted structure of the compound D destabilizing the carbon-chloride bond more than the 1-chloro-3-methyl-2-butene which shows no resonance.
orgmann
Among the following compounds I think D compound has more rate of solvolysis in 50% aq.ethanol at 45°C than compound C .
Due to more resonance.
But the compound C has more rate . Why?
1464179661611.jpg

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the solvent? 'Solvolysis implies rxn with solvent.

James Pelezo said:
What is the solvent? 'Solvolysis implies rxn with solvent.
Substrate is the only solvent

Sorry, I missed the solvent in the original post;i.e., 50%EtOH/HOH solution. Now, I'm not sure why you are defining the solvent as a substrate. Typically in chemistry, the substrate is the object (compound) of interest in the reaction process. These would be the unsaturated halides shown in the original post. The solvent (again, I missed in the original post) is the 50:50 EtOH/HOH mixture. The presence of the ethanol is there only to increase the solubility of the unsaturated halides as they react with the water. I tend to agree with your conclusion that the Phenyl substituted structure would function to destabilize the Carbon - Chloride bond more than the 1-Chloro-3-methyl-2-butene which shows no resonance. This is an interesting reaction and because the halogen is attached to a 1o-carbon, I'd assume it would proceed by an Sn2 process. I've run t-Butyl Chloride vs t-Butyl Bromide in a 50:50 Isopropyl Alcohol/Water mix and the t-BuBr rate > t-BuCl rate (k(t-BuBr) ~ 1.5 x 10-4 M⋅sec-1 vs. k(t-BuCl) ~ 1.25 x 10-5). However, the halogens are attached to 3o-carbons and does proceed by an Sn1 process. The tertiary halide reactions in alcohol/water solvent is a relatively well known reaction and easy to run, but an Sn2 would be more difficult to control (in my humble opinion). I'd like to see the results of an actual trial, but I still agree with the phenyl substituted unsaturated halide as being the faster b/c of resonance. Good question.

Related to Why Does Compound C Exhibit a Higher Rate of Solvolysis Than Compound D?

What is the definition of relative rate of solvolysis?

Relative rate of solvolysis is a measure of the speed at which a solute is dissolved in a solvent. It compares the rate of solvolysis of a particular solute to a standard solute under the same conditions.

What factors can affect the relative rate of solvolysis?

The relative rate of solvolysis can be affected by the nature of the solvent, the concentration of the solute, the temperature, and the presence of any catalysts or inhibitors.

How is the relative rate of solvolysis determined?

The relative rate of solvolysis is typically determined experimentally by measuring the time it takes for the solute to dissolve in the solvent under specific conditions and comparing it to the time for the standard solute to dissolve under the same conditions.

Why is the relative rate of solvolysis important in chemistry?

The relative rate of solvolysis is important in chemistry because it can provide information about the reactivity of a particular solute and help predict how it will behave in different solvent environments. It can also be used to compare the effectiveness of different solvents for a particular reaction.

What are some real-world applications of relative rate of solvolysis?

The relative rate of solvolysis is used in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and chemical manufacturing. It can help determine the best solvent for a particular reaction, optimize reaction conditions, and predict the stability of a compound in different solvents. It is also used in environmental studies to understand the breakdown of chemicals in different solvents.