Why does height affect the amount of damage an object does?

In summary: Yes. Because the dynamics of the impact are very complicated and specific, force is rarely used to describe destructive potential; kinetic energy is better.
iknowsigularity
If I were to drop a penny from empire state building it would do more damage than if i dropped it from standing distance. Why? F=MA. neither the penny's acceleration nor mass change when its falling so the forces on both pennies should be the same. The only solution i could come up with is that the acceleration comes from the deceleration caused when the penny hits the ground which would be bigger than the acceleration due to gravity and would be based on the time spent falling or in other words the height . am i correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
iknowsigularity said:
Why? F=MA

We should make this sentence into a meme.

The penny dropped from the empire state building is traveling at a higher speed when it impacts whatever it impacts on the ground,

HomogenousCow said:

The penny dropped from the empire state building is traveling at a higher speed when it impacts whatever it impacts on the ground,
im aware but why does that affect force?

HomogenousCow said:

F=MA Not F=MV

You were right that the deceleration when it hits the ground is what causes the impact force via f=ma. So higher speed = larger force (more deceleration needs to happen to make it stop).

russ_watters said:
You were right that the deceleration when it hits the ground is what causes the impact force via f=ma. So higher speed = larger force (more deceleration needs to happen to make it stop).
thank you!

I'd say the energy here is crucial, which is in turn connected to speed - kinetic energy (hope I don't have to write it down).
Ever heard that bullet has "that-and-that kJ"? This is how sometimes destructive potential of a weapon is given.

It is true that the "force" that penny will be applying to the object is connected to the deceleration - problem is, depending on what it will be hitting, the deceleration might differ greatly. Let's assume you're to hit some kind of weak material, that is easy to penetrate. Penny will go through, and "force" that will apply on its road further will be lower, than when it hits, say, a solid wall.

It is not really good, that in common language "force" is connected with hitting something hard, because force can change as quickly as speed, acceleration, or any other parameter is such experiment. What is almost constant (well, assuming there is energy loss due to friction to air) is the energy of that object, and that is what you should be looking at.

And while it, there is a speed, at which force of friction between air and the object in question is equal, meaning that you won't accelerate any further. So it doesn't matter from how far you throw that penny from - my wild guess would be, that you could throw it from 20m, and it would reach its "top speed" in air. That said, it won't reach any astronomic amounts of speed, and thus, speed, which means it won't be as destructive, as one might think. :=)

As a side now - for humans (welp), this height is about 50m, and approximate speed that human can be falling freely is about 200km/h.

Likes russ_watters
Perq said:
I'd say the energy here is crucial, which is in turn connected to speed - kinetic energy (hope I don't have to write it down).
Ever heard that bullet has "that-and-that kJ"? This is how sometimes destructive potential of a weapon is given.
Yes. Because the dynamics of the impact are very complicated and specific, force is rarely used to describe destructive potential; kinetic energy is better.

1. Why does height affect the amount of damage an object does?

The height at which an object falls from affects the amount of damage it does because of potential energy. When an object is lifted to a certain height, it gains potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it falls. The higher the height, the more potential energy the object has, resulting in greater kinetic energy and greater impact force upon impact.

2. How does gravity play a role in the relationship between height and damage?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the Earth's surface. As an object falls, gravity accelerates it, increasing its velocity and therefore its kinetic energy. This increase in kinetic energy is what causes more damage upon impact with a surface. So, the higher the height, the longer the object has to accelerate and the greater the impact force due to gravity.

3. Is there a limit to the amount of damage an object can do based on its height?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of damage an object can do based on its height. This is because as an object falls, it reaches a maximum velocity known as terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance balances out the force of gravity. At this point, the object will not gain any more kinetic energy and therefore will not cause any more damage upon impact.

4. How does the shape and weight of an object also play a role in the amount of damage it does?

The shape and weight of an object also affect the amount of damage it does. A heavier object will have more potential energy when lifted to a certain height, resulting in greater impact force. The shape of the object can also affect how it falls and the distribution of its weight, which can impact the amount of damage it does upon impact.

5. Can other factors besides height affect the amount of damage an object does?

Yes, there are other factors besides height that can affect the amount of damage an object does. These factors include the material and strength of the object, the surface it impacts, and any external forces acting on the object during its fall. These factors can either increase or decrease the amount of damage an object will cause upon impact.