Why Does Increasing G in a Control Loop Cause Vo/Vi to Approach Unity?

In summary, the figure in Figure 4 is mislabeled and it is not the same diagram corresponding to the problem statement.
Jason-Li
Homework Statement
Derive the closed loop transfer function for the system shown in FIGURE 4 and show that for large values of G the value of Vo/Vi approaches unity.
Relevant Equations
Transfer Functions used
1606085089844.png

Hi all Physics Forum User, I am again coming to you to ask for help.

For the above question I can't make sense of how a larger G will cause Vo/Vi to approach 1. For this I'll call Vo=V and Vi=I

As can be seen from the control loop

B = A*H and V = B*K hence V = A*H*K

Also A = I - C and C=Vo*G therefore A = I - V*G

Then substituting in V =(I-V*G)*HK
Hence Vo/Vi = (H*K) / (1+H*K*G)

Increasing G in this would have an opposite effect on making Vo/Vi approach unity.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Attachments

• 1606084852412.png
    1606084852412.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 1606085031784.png
    1606085031784.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 119
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if this means anything, but I thought I would throw it out there: The labels in the figure are, well, unconventional.

There is a convention in many control systems textbooks that "G" is what's called the "plant," the operator taken in the feed-forward path.

And likewise, "H" is conventionally chosen to represent the operator in the feedback path.

For whatever reason, the figure in this problem has that sort of reversed. There's also a horizontal line that goes through the block in the feedback path, and I'm not sure if that's just an artistic choice or what.

Of course, that's purely a convention and it shouldn't change the underlying mathematics if that convention is not used.

I guess my question is are you sure the figure in Figure 4 is the same block diagram for the problem statement? Something about it seems a bit unconventional. Maybe there is some sort of mismatch between the problem statmement and the figure.

collinsmark said:
I'm not sure if this means anything, but I thought I would throw it out there: The labels in the figure are, well, unconventional.

There is a convention in many control systems textbooks that "G" is what's called the "plant," the operator taken in the feed-forward path.

And likewise, "H" is conventionally chosen to represent the operator in the feedback path.

For whatever reason, the figure in this problem has that sort of reversed. There's also a horizontal line that goes through the block in the feedback path, and I'm not sure if that's just an artistic choice or what.

Of course, that's purely a convention and it shouldn't change the underlying mathematics if that convention is not used.

I guess my question is are you sure the figure in Figure 4 is the same block diagram for the problem statement? Something about it seems a bit unconventional. Maybe there is some sort of mismatch between the problem statmement and the figure.

Hi collinsmark,

Yeah I've seen on other websites explanations of stuff like this and the lettering does seem a bit off!

But anyway yes, the figure is definitely the one corresponding to the question - that's why I'm so confused - the question doesn't seem to make sense!

If the question were to be asking about large values of H or K I would understand that but large values of G has a counter effect than what it's asking!

Jason-Li said:
Hi collinsmark,

Yeah I've seen on other websites explanations of stuff like this and the lettering does seem a bit off!

But anyway yes, the figure is definitely the one corresponding to the question - that's why I'm so confused - the question doesn't seem to make sense!

If the question were to be asking about large values of H or K I would understand that but large values of G has a counter effect than what it's asking!
Your analysis looks good to me, given how the diagram was labeled. My only guess is that the diagram was mislabeled somehow or another.

Likes Jason-Li
collinsmark said:
Your analysis looks good to me, given how the diagram was labeled. My only guess is that the diagram was mislabeled somehow or another.
]To confirm, it was labelled incorrectly. Thank you again!

1. What is a closed loop transfer function?

A closed loop transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a control system. It takes into account the feedback loop in the system, which allows for the output to be adjusted based on the input and any disturbances.

2. How is a closed loop transfer function different from an open loop transfer function?

An open loop transfer function does not take into account the feedback loop and only considers the input and output relationship. In contrast, a closed loop transfer function considers the feedback loop and can adjust the output based on the input and any disturbances.

3. What is the purpose of a closed loop transfer function?

The purpose of a closed loop transfer function is to analyze and design control systems. It allows for the prediction of the system's behavior and the tuning of parameters to achieve desired performance.

4. How is a closed loop transfer function calculated?

A closed loop transfer function is calculated by taking the product of the open loop transfer function and the feedback transfer function. The open loop transfer function represents the system without feedback, while the feedback transfer function represents the influence of the feedback loop on the system.

5. What are the key features of a closed loop transfer function?

The key features of a closed loop transfer function include the steady-state gain, which represents the ratio of the output to the input at steady-state, and the bandwidth, which represents the frequency range over which the system can accurately respond to changes in the input. It also includes the stability and transient response of the system, which can be analyzed using the closed loop transfer function.