Why Does My Cat Display These Strange Behaviors?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary: Kitty has never really interacted with people, other than to meow and lay down at the door when she wants to come in. She has never tried to bite anyone, but she has a very sharp tongue. In summary, my cat tries to trip me up, feigns insult (meow!) if I step too near, plops herself at the busiest intersection in the house (at night), and sits or claws on material I am reading. She is a great gata, but she is a hazard to her senior former "owner." She gets a lot of attention from me and from people in my home, and she is usually active and playful.
Loren Booda
My cat tries to trip me up, feigns insult (meow!) if I step too near, plops herself at the busiest intersection in the house (at night), and sits or claws on material I am reading.

I can imagine her being a hazard to her senior former "owner." Otherwise, she is a great gata.

[Would you please deign to entertain these blandishments, Kitty?]

Physics news on Phys.org
The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of My Captivity

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am. Bastards!

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited:
LOL, that one is rather brilliant.

(Et ceci n'est pas un bookmarking post).

Loren, you might try this quiz at the following link:

http://www.heyquiz.com/quiz/cat_kill

http://www.heyquiz.com/images/quizzes/headers/14.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Redbelly98 said:

[/URL]

At least my 85% is better than the typical 185%. I now recall previous threads like this. Kitty had me under a trance.

Yes Kitty, another portion of Fancy Feast.

Loren Booda said:
My cat tries to trip me up, feigns insult (meow!) if I step too near, plops herself at the busiest intersection in the house (at night), and sits or claws on material I am reading.

I can imagine her being a hazard to her senior former "owner." Otherwise, she is a great gata.

[Would you please deign to entertain these blandishments, Kitty?]

I hope you don't mind a bunch of questions.

How old is she?
How long have you had her?
Was she an only cat in her last home?
Is she an only cat now?
Does the "tripping" occur primarily when you are preparing her food?
How much attention does she get from you or from people in your home? (And are there people home during the day, or is everyone at work or school?)
How often do you play with her?

We currently have 2 cats and 2 puppies. They all have unique personalities. The oldest cat is absolutely fearless. He often chases large neighborhood dogs and runs toward loud noises.

The puppies, my rescued Greyhound (when he was a kitten and could've snapped him into 2), my 120 pound black lab (again as a kitten), my sister's German Shepard, a mixed Pit Bull I watched for a friend, and my brother in laws Great Dane have all been terrorized by this 15 pound cat. He never really hurt any of them, just let them know who was in charge. To us, he couldn't be more passive, gentle and loving. My daughter dresses him in doll clothes and tries to paint his nails (only the puppies allow that activity).

The younger cat could not act more afraid (of everything). However, the big cat has taught him how to hunt and defend himself. When cornered, he is quite ferocious. His newest thing is climbing up on the deck to jump onto the roof of the house - where he waits every night around 8:30 for our neighborhood bat to fly by (we live in a rural area).

Both cats tell us when they want to go outside or are hungry. On a few occasions, they've been quite loud and dramatic. One day when I ignored them, they knocked their empty bowl down a flight of stairs - normally they just climb up on my chest and purr.

They also join in on family celebrations. We often have family and friends over for holiday dinners. Every year each of the cats go out and find a mouse, mole, chipmunk, baby rabbit, or a bird and place it near the door.

How old is she? 8
How long have you had her? 5 months
Was she an only cat in her last home? Yes
Is she an only cat now?Yes
Does the "tripping" occur primarily when you are preparing her food?Yes, or when she wants some. I feed her two sizable meals, and two snacks during the day. I am gradually tapering down the amount, as she had been obese.
How much attention does she get from you or from people in your home? (And are there people home during the day, or is everyone at work or school?)Mostly just me. She is an indoor, latchkey cat, although I work 6 hours a day on average.
How often do you play with her?About 3 times a day, although I encourage her to lie or sleep with me (she seems to have been trained no to lie on, just snuggle with people). As a longhair, she relishes combing. I'm going to pet her now.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/cat_congress_mired_in_sunbeam"

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/cat_article_large.article_large.jpg

Borg said:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/cat_congress_mired_in_sunbeam"

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/cat_article_large.article_large.jpg
Ahahaha,[/URL] that's great.

Loren Booda said:
How old is she? 8
How long have you had her? 5 months
Was she an only cat in her last home? Yes
Is she an only cat now?Yes
Does the "tripping" occur primarily when you are preparing her food?Yes, or when she wants some. I feed her two sizable meals, and two snacks during the day. I am gradually tapering down the amount, as she had been obese.
How much attention does she get from you or from people in your home? (And are there people home during the day, or is everyone at work or school?)Mostly just me. She is an indoor, latchkey cat, although I work 6 hours a day on average.
How often do you play with her?About 3 times a day, although I encourage her to lie or sleep with me (she seems to have been trained no to lie on, just snuggle with people). As a longhair, she relishes combing. I'm going to pet her now.

I think most kitties get distracted at feeding time and do the figure 8 dance around your feet while looking up at you (accidentally tripping you) because it's a mix of begging and anticipation they can't control (especially if food is being reduced).

If she's seeming extra needy, there might still be a little separation anxiety from losing her previous owner. She doesn't want to lose you, too. I had a cat who slept with me who always touched my face periodically during the night, just checking that I was still there. He also had some kittenhood issues, though. He had been weaned too early and was a habitual "wool sucker", that is, he "nursed" on blankets whenever there was an opportunity.

Newspaper time might be more fun if you give her her own piece - especially if you lay it in a cardboard box that she's almost too big to fit in. (Maybe keep an old newspaper just for her). Paper wad chasing is fun, too.

You should post some pictures of her. :)

Redbelly98 said:

[/URL]

Only 83%...wow! I was sure it was an absolute certainty she was plotting my death, especially when she's racing up and down the hall trying to trip me in the morning before I've made it to the coffee pot.

Oh, Ember's latest trick is to run out from under the bed and under my feet as I try to step out of bed in the morning. I think she's trying to frame me for stepping on her now...she probably plans to plea self defense when she kills me.

Related to Why Does My Cat Display These Strange Behaviors?

1. Why does my cat knead on me?

Kneading, also known as "making biscuits," is a natural behavior for cats. It is a leftover instinct from when they were kittens and would knead on their mother's belly to stimulate milk flow. Cats may also knead as a way to mark their territory or to show affection.

2. Why does my cat bring me "gifts" of dead animals?

This behavior is also instinctual and stems from a cat's natural hunting instincts. Cats may bring you dead animals as a way to show their love and appreciation, or as a way to teach you how to hunt.

3. Why does my cat scratch on furniture?

Scratching is a natural behavior for cats and serves multiple purposes. It helps them stretch, mark their territory, and maintain their claws. Providing your cat with appropriate scratching surfaces, such as a scratching post, can help redirect this behavior.

4. Why does my cat sleep so much?

Cats are crepuscular animals, meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk. They may also sleep up to 16 hours a day as a way to conserve energy for hunting and other activities. Additionally, cats are natural nappers and may sleep in short bursts throughout the day.

5. Why does my cat purr?

Cats purr for various reasons, including to communicate contentment, to self-soothe, and as a way to heal. Purring is also linked to the release of endorphins, which can help reduce stress and promote relaxation.

Back