Why does nothing happen at the Planck mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the significance of the Planck mass as a borderline between elementary particles and black holes, and questions the nature of "stuff" in the universe. The discussion also mentions the possibility that information plays a role in this distinction. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the concept of "stuff" is not well-defined, leading to an inconclusive discussion.
gerald V
TL;DR Summary
For "stuff" other than elementary particles or black holes, the Planck mass seems to be irrelevant. This is intriguing.
It appears as clear to me that the Planck mass has a fundamental role, since for it the deBroglie wavelength and the Schwarzschild radius are equal. So it is some borderline between elementary particles and black holes.

What intrigues me, however, is that the universe is mostly made up of „stuff“ like the moon, a cat, a book. A human hair of one centimeter length weighs about the Planck mass. But starting with a longer hair and cutting it into pieces well shorter than one centimeter, simply NOTHING happens. This is much different from the velocity of light, which plays a decisive role for everything.

Why so? What is „stuff“?

I am aware that this is not a precise question, consequently there is no precise answer. But I would be grateful for any advice. I conjecture that this has something to do with information. Elementary particles as well as black holes (I doubt the information paradox) carry no information apart from a handful of quantum numbers, whereas „stuff“ carries lot of information in a yet poorly comprehended way.

Thank you in Advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Planck mass with Planck length or time as a set would make something of border nature as you expect. Many daily things weigh Planck mass but their volume is much much larger than Planck scale cell. They are too dilute or have too low density to make something interesting to take place.

Planck units are just units. Why would you expect anything to happen at one Planck mass any more than at one kilogram?

Likes Klystron
Vanadium 50 said:
Planck units are just units. Why would you expect anything to happen at one Planck mass any more than at one kilogram?
what he said (very small).jpg

gerald V said:
What is „stuff“?

Trying to lump everything into a single category like this is not a good idea.

It might help in formulating a more precise question if you think about what all this "stuff" is made of.

gerald V said:
I am aware that this is not a precise question, consequently there is no precise answer.

Yes. And on that basis, this thread is closed.

Likes jim mcnamara