Why Does PRL Have Such Small Impact Factor?

• Thread starter kelly0303
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impact
In summary, the impact factor of a journal is greatly influenced by the size of the field and there is no point in comparing impact factors across different fields. While PRL may have a smaller impact factor compared to other medical journals, it is considered a top journal in the field of physics with many famous and Nobel Prize winning papers being published there. The Higgs discovery, for example, was published in Physics Letters B with an impact factor of 4.162. There is also no point in comparing impact factors across different journals in the same field, as each journal has its own readership and practices. Additionally, the impact factor should not be the only factor used to measure the quality of a journal.
kelly0303
Why does PRL have such a small impact factor? There are so many great papers published there (if I am not wrong the Higgs discovery, too?), how do they define the impact factor of a journal?

Physics news on Phys.org
kelly0303 said:
how do they define the impact factor of a journal

If you type those exact words into Google, you get plenty of answers. How are they insufficient?

Next, PRL is what, around 10? Why is that bad? There are maybe 20000 physicists in the US. There are a million doctors. Doesn't it make sense that medical journals have more readers and citations?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you type those exact words into Google, you get plenty of answers. How are they insufficient?

Next, PRL is what, around 10? Why is that bad? There are maybe 20000 physicists in the US. There are a million doctors. Doesn't it make sense that medical journals have more readers and citations?
I am aware of that, my questions was more along the lines, shouldn't they normalize the journal for a fair comparison? If you have 100 physicists and 98 of them read a journal, and you have 1000 doctors and 500 of them read another journal, you can't say that the medical one is more important. It just seems unfair to asses the importance of a journal without taking into account the area of research. So I was wondering how much is that taken into account?

Why? Why would you ever compare JAMA to PRL? They have no overlapping readership and no overlapping articles.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why? Why would you ever compare JAMA to PRL? They have no overlapping readership and no overlapping articles.
Oh, you brought up that there are more doctors than physicists and I was just saying that if you want to compare them you should normalize based on that numbers. Not sure why you mentioned doctors. But to put it the other way, from the point of view of physics, PRL has an impact factor of 9 while, say, Nature has an impact factor of 43. Also it is a lot more difficult to get published in Nature than PRL. However there are lots of famous (and even Nobel Prize winning) papers in PRL. So I am just confused as to why it's a factor of 5 difference between the 2, given that PRL seems to be really good.

The impact factor is greatly influenced by the size of a field, i.e., how many papers in total are published in a year. There is no point to compare impact factors across fields.

Likes Wrichik Basu and Vanadium 50
What DrClaude said.

If you think "9" is too small, what number do you think it should be?

Impact factor is one metric of journal health, it’s not some sort of all encompassing score of quality. Comparing two different journals in two different fields with completely different readership and practices takes the measure beyond what it’s good for.

kelly0303 said:
Oh, you brought up that there are more doctors than physicists and I was just saying that if you want to compare them you should normalize based on that numbers. Not sure why you mentioned doctors. But to put it the other way, from the point of view of physics, PRL has an impact factor of 9 while, say, Nature has an impact factor of 43. Also it is a lot more difficult to get published in Nature than PRL. However there are lots of famous (and even Nobel Prize winning) papers in PRL. So I am just confused as to why it's a factor of 5 difference between the 2, given that PRL seems to be really good.

Nature has a lower Impact Factor than the New England Journal of Medicine (Impact Factor: 70.670), Lancet (59.102), JAMA (51.273).

DrClaude said:
The impact factor is greatly influenced by the size of a field, i.e., how many papers in total are published in a year. There is no point to compare impact factors across fields.
What do you mean by different field? Isn't Nature a physics journal, too? I know for a fact that publishing a physics paper in Nature is a lot more complicated than in PRL so I was wondering why? Is it because of their impact factor? And if so, why does Nature has a bigger impact factor than PRL? And if not, why is it harder to get published in Nature?

Vanadium 50 said:
What DrClaude said.

If you think "9" is too small, what number do you think it should be?
Well given that Nature is 45, and I think it's the most difficult journal to publish in as a physicist, I guess there is a lot of room in between. I am not even sure what other journals fill the space between RPL and Nature in terms of impact factor.

kelly0303 said:
What do you mean by different field? Isn't Nature a physics journal, too?
No, Nature covers all fields of scientific enquiry, including biology and medicine, which contribute a lot to the high impact factor.

kelly0303 said:
I know for a fact that publishing a physics paper in Nature is a lot more complicated than in PRL so I was wondering why? Is it because of their impact factor? And if so, why does Nature has a bigger impact factor than PRL? And if not, why is it harder to get published in Nature?
Nature publishes very few physics papers (around 3 per issue), so they can be very picky. In fact, they are very picky in all fields: they would much rather reject an excellent paper than accept one that turns out to be not very good (although they have made some blunders: look up Benveniste).

Looking at their physics-only journal, Nature Physics, its impact factor is 20, which is more than PRL. There again, they are very picky about the articles they publish, as they can use the Nature brand to attract big papers (there is also the trickle-down effect, where papers rejected by Nature often end up submitted to Nature Physics).

It is important to understand the role of the impact factor. It is an indicator of the average relevancy of papers published in a journal, as it gives an idea of how much people are citing recent articles in that journal. It is useful as a reader to know to make a quick assessment of the possible validity of an article (in a field where one is less familiar) as it gives and indication of how well it has (probably) been peer-reviewed. If the JIF is low, there is reason to be skeptical, as it is probably a journal that published anything. Other than that, the JIF doesn't mean that much (outside of the publishing business).

PRL's guidelines demand that an article "substantially advance a field" and "be of broad interest".
These two criteria are somewhat contrary, and tend to rule out papers that go elsewhere.
Also, the requirement of brevity (even if often ignored), precludes a complete treatment.
If you go back and read the "Letter to the Editor" part of the original Phys Rev, you will see that PRL has lost its way and its sway.

1. Why is the impact factor of PRL so low compared to other journals?

The impact factor of a journal is determined by the number of citations its articles receive divided by the total number of articles published in a given time period. PRL is a highly specialized journal that only publishes research in the field of physics. This means that its articles may have a smaller potential audience compared to other journals that cover a broader range of subjects. Therefore, the number of citations may be lower, resulting in a lower impact factor.

2. Is PRL considered a reputable journal despite its low impact factor?

Yes, PRL is considered one of the most prestigious and reputable journals in the field of physics. Its low impact factor does not reflect the quality of the research published in the journal, but rather the number of citations it receives.

3. Does the impact factor of PRL affect the career prospects of scientists who publish in the journal?

The impact factor of a journal should not be the sole factor in determining the significance of a scientist's work. Other factors, such as the quality and impact of the research, are also taken into consideration. Publishing in PRL is still highly valued and can positively impact a scientist's career in the field of physics.

4. Has the impact factor of PRL always been low?

The impact factor of PRL has fluctuated over the years, but it has generally been lower compared to other journals in the field of physics. However, it is worth noting that the impact factor is not the only measure of a journal's influence and should not be the sole factor in determining the significance of a journal.

5. Are there any efforts being made to increase the impact factor of PRL?

PRL is constantly striving to improve its impact factor and increase its visibility in the scientific community. The journal has implemented various measures, such as increasing the number of articles published and promoting its content through various platforms, to attract more citations and improve its impact factor. However, the ultimate goal of PRL is to continue publishing high-quality research in the field of physics, regardless of its impact factor.