Why Does Rewriting a Function Change the Partial Derivative Outcome?

In summary, the confusion arises from the use of partial derivatives, which assume independence between variables, when in reality one variable (y) is dependent on the other (x). This results in different values for the derivative depending on how the function is written, but both answers are correct.
AlexChandler
I have come to a bit of a misunderstanding with partial derivatives. I will try to illustrate my problem. Say we have a function f(x, y(x), y'(x)) where y'(x)=dy/dx. Now suppose that f does not explicitly depend on x. My physics book says at this point that ∂f/∂x=0, even though y(x) and y'(x) may depend on x.
Suppose f=y2
Then ∂f/∂x=0
but if we have y(x)=x, then we can write f as:
f=x2 and we have
∂f/∂x=2x
How can we have two different answers for the same derivative by simply rewriting the function in a different way?
I apologize in advance if the answer is obvious and I am being a bit annoying by asking. But if you do have a helpful comment to post, I would greatly appreciate it!
-Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first case, ∂f/∂y = 2y. Note that (I'll ignore y' since it is irrelevant):
df/dx = ∂f/∂x + (∂f/∂y)(dy/dx). Therefore the final result is the same in both cases.

The partial derivative of f "with respect to y" assumes y is independent of x or any other variables. If, in fact, f is a function of both x and y, and y is a function of x, then
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

In your example, with [itex]f(x,y)= y^2[/itex] and y= x,
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= 0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= 2y[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{df}{dx}= 0+ (2y)(1)= 2x[/tex].

Related to Why Does Rewriting a Function Change the Partial Derivative Outcome?

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (pronounced "del") followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative calculates the rate of change of a single-variable function with respect to its input variable. A partial derivative, on the other hand, calculates the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables while keeping the other variables constant.

3. What is the purpose of calculating partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are essential in many fields of science and engineering, particularly in physics and economics. They help us understand how small changes in one variable can affect the overall behavior of a complex system.

4. How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you use the same rules as for regular derivatives, but you only consider the variable you are differentiating with respect to and treat all other variables as constants. This means you differentiate the function as if it were a single-variable function, but you leave the other variables unchanged.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world application of partial derivatives?

One example of a real-world application of partial derivatives is in economics, where it is used to analyze the relationship between different variables in a market. For instance, a partial derivative can help determine how a change in the price of a product affects the demand for that product, while holding other market factors constant.