Why does saturation of a ferromagnetic result in non-sinusoidal current?

In summary, when a ferromagnetic material, such as the iron core of a transformer, becomes saturated, the current becomes non-sinusoidal due to the non-linear relationship between current and magnetic field. This occurs because at saturation, the magnetic field can no longer increase in proportion to the current, leading to a decrease in opposing voltage and allowing for a larger increase in current.
tonyjk
Hello... I have a question: Physically why when a ferromagnetic is saturated the current is non-sinusoidal ( I'm taking the example of the magnetising current of a transformer). I know graphically and mathemeticalty why( from the hysteresis loop) but In reality what happens(I'm talking about magnetic field or/and electric field) . I know the magnetic domain of the iron core will be aligned etc... but why there's a non-sinusoidal current... Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The principle of an inductor is that it surrounds its coils with a magnetic field (that field being produced by the current in the coils). So any change in current in the coils induces a voltage in the coils and this voltage tends to oppose the change in current that produces it. Ideally, there exists a linear relationship between the current and the field.

Around those peaks where the core starts to saturate (i.e., show non-linear behaviour), a further increase in current fails to produce the full expected change in the magnetic field, this in turn induces less opposing voltage to oppose that current, with a consequence that the current is able to increase more than for expected linear behaviour.

1. What is saturation of ferromagnetic?

Saturation of ferromagnetic refers to the point at which a ferromagnetic material can no longer be magnetized. This occurs when all of the magnetic domains within the material are aligned in the same direction, creating a maximum magnetic field.

2. How does saturation of ferromagnetic occur?

Saturation of ferromagnetic occurs when an external magnetic field is applied to the material. This field causes the magnetic domains within the material to align in the direction of the external field, resulting in a stronger magnetic field. As the external field increases, the alignment of the domains also increases until they are all aligned and the material reaches saturation.

3. How does saturation of ferromagnetic affect the magnetic properties of a material?

When a material reaches saturation, it means that it is at its maximum magnetic strength. This means that it can no longer be magnetized any further and its magnetic properties will not change. Saturation is an important factor to consider when using ferromagnetic materials for applications such as creating permanent magnets.

4. What factors can affect the saturation of ferromagnetic?

The saturation of ferromagnetic can be affected by the type of material, its composition, and its microstructure. For example, materials with smaller grain sizes and fewer defects tend to have higher saturation levels. Additionally, the strength of the applied external magnetic field can also impact the saturation point.

5. Can the saturation of ferromagnetic be reversed?

Yes, the saturation of ferromagnetic can be reversed by applying an external magnetic field in the opposite direction. This will cause the magnetic domains within the material to realign in the opposite direction, resulting in a decrease in the overall magnetic field strength. However, this process may not be 100% reversible and can result in a decrease in the material's magnetic properties.