Why does the coefficient for steel in expansion change with temperature?

In summary, the problem involves converting a length from millimeters to meters and determining the initial length using the coefficient of expansion for steel in Kelvin. The coefficient for expansion means that for every 1 Kelvin increase in temperature, steel will expand by 1.2 parts in 100,000. Kelvin is a standard temperature scale used in the scientific community, and is often used when dealing with absolute temperatures and coefficients of expansion.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2015-5-14_22-0-5.png

Homework Equations

ΔL = α L0 ΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the 0.62 mm to meters, giving 0.00062 m

am I suppose to convert the degrees from Celsius to K? why is the coefficient for steel in K-1? What does that even mean?

anyway, I converted C to K and answer I got was my initial length to be 0.180 meters

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
goonking said:
I converted the 0.62 mm to meters, giving 0.00064 m
0.00062 m

goonking said:
am I suppose to convert the degrees from Celsius to K? why is the coefficient for steel in K-1? What does that even mean?

You are dealing with temperature differences, not absolute temperatures. The temperature difference has the same numerical value in the Kelvin and Celsius scales, i.e., for temperature differences 1 K = 1 °C. When absolute temperatures are involved, it is essentially always necessary to use Kelvin unless an expression has been specifically tailored to the Celsius scale. In physics, Kelvin is a more natural scale than Celsius as it has zero at absolute zero.

And again, do not confuse C with °C (or ° C, which has no meaning, for that matter ...).

The coefficient for expansion means that steel expands 1.2 parts in 100,000 for each 1 Kelvin increase in temperature. A change of one Kelvin and one degree Celsius is the same, so you actually don't have to convert in this instance. Kelvin is a standard temperature scale used by the scientific community. Many tables of the coefficients of expansion for different materials are given in Kelvin, so that is probably why it was used.

Likes goonking

Related to Why does the coefficient for steel in expansion change with temperature?

What is expansion of metal (heat)?

Expansion of metal (heat) refers to the phenomenon where metal objects increase in size when exposed to high temperatures. This is due to the increase in molecular activity and the subsequent increase in distance between the molecules.

What causes metal to expand when heated?

Metal expands when heated because the increase in temperature causes the molecules within the metal to vibrate faster and take up more space. This results in a larger overall size of the metal object.

How does expansion of metal affect everyday life?

The expansion of metal is a crucial concept in everyday life, as it allows for the functioning of many common objects. For example, it is used in thermostats to control temperature, in bridges to prevent buckling due to temperature changes, and in thermometers to measure temperature.

What is thermal expansion coefficient?

The thermal expansion coefficient is a measure of how much a material expands or contracts when its temperature changes. It is represented by the symbol α and is typically measured in units of length per unit temperature (e.g. meters per degree Celsius).

Can metal expand and contract repeatedly without any damage?

Yes, metal can expand and contract repeatedly without any significant damage. This is because metals are highly malleable and can easily withstand the stress caused by expansion and contraction due to temperature changes. However, repeated expansion and contraction can cause fatigue and lead to structural damage over time.