Why does the top surface of a Silicon Die measure close to 0 ohms?

In summary, the die measures 0.2 ohms when the leads are touching, but the resistance is different when the leads are 1/8" away from each other. The top of the die is non-conductive, but the bottom of the die may be conductive. The test leads are making small scratches in the die when they touch it.
austinuni
I have gotten access to a large bare silicon die (almost 1" across, 14nm process) that my company gets from a fab. I've been monkeying around with an ohmmeter placed at the top of the die, with the test leads placed at various points around the die, and I almost always measure the same value (0.2 ohm) as when the leads are touching together directly. At one point I measured 18 ohms with the leads about 1/8" away from each other on the die. On the back side of the die, I always get a reading consistent with non-conduction.

I understand that the top layer of the die is a passivity layer designed to protect the die, and I assume this top layer is non-conductive, but perhaps it is not present in the silicon die that I have. (I think this die may have been a test reject, otherwise I probably would not have it).

I measured the resistance of the top layer of a completed silicon wafer from a different device (much smaller die), and between the test points on the same die, I either get a non-conductive reading or a very small reading like around 20 ohms.

I think below the passivity layer of the die would be the metal layers, and I assume that's what the test leads are touching. But why is it always close to 0 ohms? Wouldn't I get a non-zero conductive reading or inconsistent reading between non-zero conductive and non-conductive, reflecting the various paths through the transistor circuit that is conducting the meter's current?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you sure you are measuring the top of that die and not the bottom side? As you say, the top of die are passivated. The bottom of a die will generally be conductive to mate up with a center ground pad for good device grounding and sometimes for heat conduction out of the package.

I can see the patterning of the circuit on the "top" side of the die. I have 5 of these bare silicon dies, and they all measure the same way. I almost always get a 0.2 ohm reading, and then sometimes a reading of 20 ohms or so.

I wonder if it has something to do with the probability that they are test rejects? Like maybe the top metal layers were constructed totally wrong?

Attachments

• DSCN2316.JPG
    DSCN2316.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 102
I would think that even wafer sort test rejects would have passivation on top. Is there a chance that these were destined for "FIB" (focused ion beam) rework to test a fix to the mask? Depending on whether the FIB rework is a cut or a jump (via deposition), they may need to remove the top passivation layer to be able to do the FIB...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focused_ion_beam

I suppose it is possible these were destined for FIB, but I don't have much background on these die.

Is it possible that the test leads are punching through all the metal and silicon layers to some "base" layer, even though I am holding them gently? Each time I touch the die with the leads, it appears to make a small scratch/dent in the die.

edit: I tried much narrower probes and a much lighter touch, and still get the same result.

Last edited:
There can be many different explanations.
Note that most silicone that is used for fab is doped. This can be on purpose (because you need n or p doped Si to make devices) but even "natural" Si if quite conductive because of impurities.
High-resistive Si is quite expensive and even then it is usually "compensated" (they add p or n dopants to compensate naturally occurring impurities). "intrinsic"high-ohmic Si is available,but way more expensive that standard Si so it only really used for e.g. high frequency applications.

Also, sometimes you can see a change in conductivity depending on the light level; that is the conductance increases (Resistance drops) if you shine a light at the wafer.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd

1. Why is the top surface of a Silicon Die conductive?

The top surface of a Silicon Die is conductive because it is made up of a layer of metal, typically aluminum or copper, which allows for the flow of electricity. This layer is necessary for the proper functioning of the die as it connects the internal circuitry to the outside world.

2. What is the significance of measuring close to 0 ohms on the top surface of a Silicon Die?

Measuring close to 0 ohms on the top surface of a Silicon Die indicates that there is a very low resistance to the flow of electricity. This is important because it ensures that the die is functioning properly and that there are no faulty connections or damaged components.

3. How does the top surface of a Silicon Die maintain a low resistance?

The top surface of a Silicon Die maintains a low resistance due to the highly conductive nature of the metal layer. This layer is designed to have very low resistance, allowing for efficient flow of electricity throughout the die.

4. Can the top surface of a Silicon Die measure higher than 0 ohms?

Yes, the top surface of a Silicon Die can measure higher than 0 ohms if there is a problem with the metal layer or if there is damage to the internal circuitry. In such cases, the resistance may increase, indicating an issue with the die.

5. Is the top surface of a Silicon Die the only part that measures close to 0 ohms?

No, the top surface of a Silicon Die is not the only part that measures close to 0 ohms. The entire die is designed to have low resistance, including the internal circuitry. However, the top surface is the most accessible and commonly measured part of the die.