Why does the tropical sun feel hotter in the evening?

• Thread starter mdique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Sun
In summary, living at the equator can be challenging due to the hot temperatures, especially for homes with west-facing windows. The difference in the sun's heat throughout the day is caused by the angle of the sun to the earth's surface. However, it is usually hotter in the afternoon due to already being hot from the sun. The color of sunset is attributed to particles in the air, but this should make it cooler than sunrise. The speaker is stumped and curious as to why this is the case in the tropics.
mdique
Dear friends,

I'm currently living at the equator. Here, homes that have primarily east facing windows are hotter than north or south facing houses, but still bearable. However, homes that are west facing are almost inhospitably hot unless some kind of air conditioning is used. As far as I know, differences in the suns heat throughout the day is largely caused by the angle of the sun to the surface of the earth. In that case, sunrise and sunset should have the same heat energy, unless there are some atmospheric differences at different times of day? As far as I know the colour of sunset is attributed to the increase of particles in the air, but shouldn't this make sunset cooler than sunrise?
So any of you have any idea why this is the case in the tropics, I would love to know. I'm stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is usually hotter in the afternoon. If you are already hot then being heated by the sun feels hotter.

1. Why does the tropical sun feel hotter in the evening?

The tropical sun may feel hotter in the evening due to a phenomenon called diurnal temperature variation. This is the difference in temperature between day and night, which is more extreme in tropical regions due to their proximity to the equator.

2. Is the angle of the sun responsible for the increased heat in the evening?

Yes, the angle of the sun does play a role in the increased heat in the evening. In tropical regions, the sun is at a higher angle during the day, which allows for more direct and intense sunlight. As the sun sets and the angle decreases, the same amount of sunlight is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

3. Does humidity also contribute to the perceived heat in the evening?

Yes, humidity can also contribute to the perceived heat in the evening. In tropical regions, humidity levels tend to be higher in the evening, which can make the air feel warmer and more uncomfortable.

4. Are there any other factors that may contribute to the increased heat in the evening?

Other factors that may contribute to the increased heat in the evening include the amount of cloud cover and the type of surface the sun is shining on. Clouds can act as a barrier, trapping heat and keeping the air warmer, while certain surfaces like asphalt or sand can absorb and retain heat, making the surrounding air feel hotter.

5. Is the increased heat in the evening a common occurrence in all tropical regions?

Yes, the increased heat in the evening is a common occurrence in most tropical regions. However, the extent of the temperature difference between day and night may vary depending on factors such as location, elevation, and season. Some tropical regions may also experience a greater diurnal temperature variation than others.