Why does U235 fission to U236 18% of the time

In summary, U235 can undergo fission when hit by a neutron, but there is also a possibility for it to become U236 and emit gamma radiation. This is due to the unpredictable nature of quantum mechanics. Although U236 is generally considered unstable, there is a small percentage that can be long-lived. This is because the U236 nucleus can either immediately fission or decay to a stable state. The reason for the 82% chance of fission is due to the created U236 being in an excited state, which can either decay or undergo fission.
Daniel Bolstad
First of all, let me say I'm not a physicist, an undergrad, study physics or have any particular education surrounding physics. I'm actually simply a photographer with a special interest in science - so if possible, keep any answers simple.

Right, so I was reading about the fission of U235, and it said (the source being Wikipedia) that around 18% of the time it will not fission when hit by a neutron, but rather become U236 and emit the extra energy as gamma radiation. Why is this? Is there a quantum-mechanical reason for this? If so, why is the result not truly random?

Secondly, it says that U236 is long-lived and unwanted. From what I've understood though, U236 is very unstable (which is why it is used for creating nuclear chain reactions). How can both claims be true? What separates the 82% of U236 that is so unstable that it fissions from the 18% of U236 that is apparently stable and long-lived?

Any answers (hopefully as simple as possible) are appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Bolstad said:
Why is this?
Both processes are possible. It would be odd if one would not occur. Either you get immediate fission or you get a U-236 nucleus.
Daniel Bolstad said:
f so, why is the result not truly random?
The result is truly random. It is impossible to predict what a specific nucleus will do, all you can do is give a probability.

U-236 is not unstable (on relevant timescales for reactors), and not used in chain reactions.

Likes Daniel Bolstad
Excellent, thanks for the answer!
So that means the U235 fissions at the moment of impact with the neutron, and never gets a chance to turn into U236? (Except for 18% of the time?)
Because from what I'd understood from this it first turns into a U236 atom, then almost instantly fissions into lighter elements (or becomes stable).

Daniel Bolstad said:
So that means the U235 fissions at the moment of impact with the neutron, and never gets a chance to turn into U236?
At least not U-236 in its ground state. For very short-living intermediate states naming can be a bit arbitrary.

Likes Daniel Bolstad
Sorry to seem stupid here..In a reactor fueled with U235. An atom of U235 on absorbing a thermal neutron turns into U236. Now the just created U236 atom is unstable and 82% of the time the nucleus will split creating two new atoms. Why for 18% of the time, does the nucleus not split.. it is unstable. Does it become stable by another decay route.
I am doing a MOOCs course on Futurelearn.. The Science of Nuclear Energy and am confused about why the nucleus doesn't always split. Lots of papers and articles blithely talk about the products of the fission of the nucleus... but none explain why it only happens 82% of the time. Help.. I spent all last night online trying to find the answer... maybe I'm just too thick to understand...sigh

The created U236 is an excited state*. It either decays to a ground-state U236 or fissions. Two different possible decay modes.

*or something that is hard to call a state at all.

Why does U235 fission to U236 18% of the time?

This is a common question among those studying nuclear physics and interested in the process of fission. Here are the top 5 frequently asked questions about this topic:

1. What is U235 and U236?

U235 and U236 are isotopes of the element uranium. Isotopes are atoms of the same element that have different numbers of neutrons. U235 has 235 neutrons and U236 has 236 neutrons.

2. Why does U235 fission at all?

U235 is a fissile isotope, which means that it is capable of undergoing nuclear fission. This is because it has a high probability of undergoing a nuclear reaction when struck by a neutron, leading to fission.

3. Why does U235 fission to U236 specifically?

When U235 is struck by a neutron, it absorbs the neutron and becomes unstable. This instability causes the nucleus to split into two smaller nuclei, releasing energy and additional neutrons. These additional neutrons can then cause other U235 nuclei to undergo fission, creating a chain reaction. U236 is one of the possible products of this fission process.

4. What determines the 18% fission rate of U235 to U236?

The fission rate of U235 to U236 is determined by several factors, including the energy of the neutron, the composition of the nuclear fuel, and the presence of other isotopes. In nuclear reactors, the fission process is carefully controlled to maintain a specific fission rate.

5. Why is the 18% fission rate significant?

The 18% fission rate of U235 to U236 is significant because it is the most common pathway for fission to occur. This means that when U235 is used as a nuclear fuel, 18% of the fission reactions will result in the production of U236. However, other fission products are also produced, and these can vary in their stability and radioactivity.