Why Does Voltage Drop When a Dielectric Is Inserted in a Capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses a demonstration in a Physics II class where a circular metallic plate capacitor is charged to 10V, then a plastic racket with water inside is inserted between the plates causing the voltage to decrease to 4V. When the racket is removed and the water emptied, the voltage returns to 10V. This is due to the conductivity of the water altering the electric field. The conversation also mentions the formula for capacitance with dielectric constant ε and the difference between ε for water and air.
Monts

Homework Statement

This was done on my Physics II class, ans the Professor has'nt want to explain it to usA 2 Circular Metallic Plate Capacitor, maybe of a diameter of 15cm, was connected to a constant sourch of DC voltage until it was charge to 10Volt, after this the source was DISCONNECTED from the Capacitor, and of course the voltage on it remained at 10V

Then, the professor took a DRY plastic racket with 500ml of water INSIDE, and puts it between the plates, leaving no space between them, it was very precise, the plates where adjusted to the specific width of the racket. By doing this the voltage went down to 4V

And then, he takes the racket out the Capacitor, bringing the voltage back to 10V, and empties all the water and closes the little overture. After this he put the racket back between the plates and the voltage comes down to 4volts AGAIN.

Homework Equations

Why does the change of the Dielectric makes no difference?

The Attempt at a Solution

The water leaving the racket gives up a large quantity of ions, making the air so conductive to the field as it was before

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the formula for capacitance with dielectric constant ε?

What is ε for water and for air?

Related to Why Does Voltage Drop When a Dielectric Is Inserted in a Capacitor?

1. What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is an insulating substance that is able to store and transmit electrical energy. It is commonly used in electronic devices to prevent the flow of electricity between different components.

2. Why would I need to change a dielectric part?

Due to wear and tear or damage, dielectric parts may become less effective at insulating or conducting electricity. This can lead to malfunctions or failures in electronic devices, making it necessary to replace the faulty part.

3. How do I know if a dielectric part needs to be changed?

You may notice a decrease in performance or malfunctioning of your electronic device. Additionally, if a dielectric part appears visibly damaged or cracked, it may need to be replaced.

4. Can I change a dielectric part myself?

It is possible to change a dielectric part yourself, but it is recommended to have a professional do it to ensure proper installation and avoid further damage to the device.

5. Are all dielectric parts the same?

No, dielectric materials can vary in their properties and composition. It is important to use the correct type of dielectric part for your specific device to ensure proper function and performance.