Why does water affect friction differently in different situations?

• Thread starter ntd252
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of friction and how water affects it. The speaker mentions that on a slippery road, water reduces friction between the tires and the road, making it difficult to drive. On a flooded road, the water creates drag, increasing friction and also making it difficult to drive. The speaker also points out how water increases friction when turning a page in a book. The other speakers add additional information, explaining that water creates adhesion between surfaces and acts as a lubricant, affecting the friction between the road and a car's tires. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for an explanation for the paradox of water both reducing and increasing friction.
ntd252
Hello everyone!
I am Duong (Dương), I am from Vietnam, 16 years old. So my English grammar isnot good, i am sorry!
I have some problems about friction, I can't understand.
First, when the road is slippery after the rain, the car or orther verhicles (in the road) are very difficult to drive. This means "water reduces friction between the hire with the road."
Second, when the road is flooded, the car is difficult to drive, too. this means "water increases friction"
Beside, we use small water in the finger to turn the page of the book, it means that water increases friction, too
So, it is ridiculous, not only reducing friction, but also increase friction, so why?i need explaining
Thank you very much! Have a nice day!

Physics news on Phys.org
ntd252 said:
So, it is ridiculous, not only reducing friction, but also increase friction, so why?
Without any water you will die of thirst, but with too much water you will drown. Is this also a ridiculous paradox to you, that you cannot understand?

The road is slippery after the rain, because the wheels glide on a water film. On a flooded road the water has to be moved out of the way, so it creates drag. The book page sticks to the wet finger due to adhesive forces.

I know. Read again my post. The book page sticks to the wet finger, because of friction is increased. I want to understand that, why can water reduce friction and increase friction?how does water affect surface between road and car's tire?

Last edited:

Hello Duong, thank you for your questions about friction. I am happy to help explain this concept to you. Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is affected by several factors, including the type of surfaces, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants such as water.

In the case of a slippery road after rain, the water acts as a lubricant between the tires of the car and the road. This reduces the friction between them, making it more difficult for the car to grip the road and causing it to slide. This is why it is difficult to drive on a wet road.

On the other hand, when the road is flooded, the water creates a layer between the tires and the road, increasing the friction between them. This is because the water is pushing against the tires, creating a force that helps the car to grip the road. However, if the water is too deep, it can also create a layer between the tires and the road, causing the car to float and making it difficult to drive.

As for the example of using water on your finger to turn a page, this is because water creates a thin layer between your finger and the page, increasing the friction between them. This allows you to grip the page better and turn it more easily.

So, in summary, the presence of water can either reduce or increase friction, depending on the situation. I hope this helps to clarify your questions about friction. Keep asking questions and learning about science, and have a nice day!

1. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact with each other. This interaction creates resistance, which makes it difficult for the surfaces to slide past each other.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, so it can slow down or stop objects from moving. It also requires energy to overcome, which can affect the speed and efficiency of motion.

3. Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction cannot be eliminated completely, but it can be reduced by using lubricants between surfaces or by making surfaces smoother. However, some amount of friction is necessary for objects to grip and for us to walk or drive without slipping.

4. What are the different types of friction?

The three types of friction are static, kinetic, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when objects are at rest, kinetic friction occurs when objects are in motion, and rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

5. How is friction useful?

Friction has many practical applications, such as providing traction for vehicles, allowing us to grip objects, and creating heat for fire. It also helps to control the speed and direction of motion, making it essential for many everyday activities.