Why does waveform exp[iwt] have negative kinetic energy?

In summary, the author is discussing how the energy eigenvalues of a free particle are related to the momentum of the particle. The eigenvalues are completely determined by the equations that govern the free particle, and there is an issue concerning the sign of the energy eigenvalues in relativistic quantum mechanics.
Happiness
Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 7.06.26 AM.png

Why so?

Quoted from Quantum Physics 3rd ed. by Stephen Gasiorowicz, p. 26.

It was explaining why we ignore the terms with exp[iwt] when adding plane waves to form a wave packet:
Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 7.13.54 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
Why so?
Try applying the energy operator ##\hat H = i\hbar \frac{\partial }{\partial t}## to the wavefunction with ##\exp(i\omega t)##. In fact the time-exponential factor arises from the application of time evolution operator ##\exp(-i\hat H t/\hbar)##, thus it makes perfect sense that one should use ##\exp(-i\omega t)## since the kinetic energy is positive.
EDIT: ##i\hbar \frac{\partial }{\partial t}## is not an energy operator nor equal to Hamiltonian ##\hat H##. It is more appropriate the call the former simply "time derivative" operator. Credit to vanhees (see below).

Last edited:
The Hamilton operator is NOT ##\mathrm{i} \partial_t## but a function of operators that represent observables. For a particle in a potential in non-relativistic physics, e.g., it's
$$\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{\vec{p}}^2}{2m} + V(\hat{\vec{x}}).$$
The Schrödinger equation in the position representation reads (I set ##\hbar=1## for convenience)
$$\mathrm{i} \partial_t \psi(t,\vec{x})=\hat{H} \psi(t,\vec{x}).$$
The cited passage in #1 is as enigmatic to me as it is to Happiness. The sign in question is completely determined by the Schrödinger equation. Obviously the author is treating energy eigenstates, i.e., solutions of the Schrödinger equation of the form
$$\psi(t,\vec{x})=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t) u_{E}(\vec{x})$$
which obey
$$\hat{H} \psi_E(t,\vec{x})=E \psi_E(t,\vec{x}).$$
For a time-independent Hamiltonian for the above ansatz we have
$$\mathrm{i} \partial_t \psi_E(t,\vec{x})=\omega \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t) u_{E}(\vec{x})=\omega \psi_E(t,\vec{x}),$$
i.e., we have (uniquely
$$\omega=+E.$$
The time-independent eigenfunction of the Hamiltonian has to be determined by
$$\hat{H} u_E(\vec{x})=E u_E(\vec{x}),$$
which in general is a pretty complicated partial differential equation (usually called "the time-independent Schrödinger equation"). Only for simple potentials can we solve it analytically. The most simple case is the free particle, i.e., $$V=0$$. Then we have
$$\hat{H}=\frac{\hat{\vec{p}}^2}{2m}=-\frac{\Delta}{2m}.$$
Then the eigenvalue problem reads
$$-\frac{\Delta}{2m} u_E(\vec{x})=E u_E(\vec{x}).$$
It is easy to solve by a separation ansatz
$$u_E(\vec{x})=u_1(x_1) u_2(x_2) u_3(x_3).$$
Plugging this ansatz into the equation leads to the solutions
$$u_1(x_1)=N_1 \exp(\mathrm{i} p_1 x_1), \quad \ldots$$
or
$$u_E(\vec{x})=N \exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}).$$
Plugging this into the eigenvalue equation for the Hamiltonian yields
$$\hat{H} u_E(\vec{x})=\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m} u_E(\vec{x}) \; \Rightarrow \; E=\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m},$$
i.e., a free particle's energy eigenvalues are related to the momentum of the particle as in classical physics.

The reason that this works is, of course, that the Hamiltonian commutes with all momentum operators, i.e.,
$$[\hat{H},\hat{\vec{p}}]=0,$$
and thus the momentum eigenstates are also energy eigenstates. It's more convenient to use this particular set of energy eigenstates, because the three momentum components build a complete set of compatible observables, so that specifying the three momenta determine the eigenfunction uniquely. The Hamiltonian eigenvalues themselves are degenerated, since for a given eigenvalue ##E## all the momentum eigenstates with ##\vec{p}^2/(2m)=E## (i.e., an entire sphere in momentum space) are eigenvectors.

For the free particle the time-dependent energy eigensolution finally reads
$$\psi_E(t,\vec{x})=N \exp[-\mathrm{i} (E t-\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})],$$
and the signs here are completely determined by the defining equations. There's no doubt as suggested by the passage cited in #1.

There is an issue in relativistic quantum mechanics concerning the sign of energy eigenvalues of free particles, finally leading to the conclusion that it is more adequate to formulate relativistic QT as a QFT right from the beginning, but that's another issue.

Likes PeterDonis

Related to Why does waveform exp[iwt] have negative kinetic energy?

1. Why does the waveform exp[iwt] have negative kinetic energy?

The negative kinetic energy of the waveform exp[iwt] is a result of the complex nature of the exponential function. The negative sign in front of the kinetic energy term is a mathematical convention used to indicate the direction of energy flow. It does not have any physical significance and does not affect the overall behavior or properties of the waveform.

2. Is negative kinetic energy physically possible?

Yes, negative kinetic energy is physically possible and is often encountered in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the direction and magnitude of energy flow, and does not violate any physical laws.

3. Does the negative kinetic energy of exp[iwt] affect the overall energy of a system?

No, the negative kinetic energy of exp[iwt] does not affect the overall energy of a system. In fact, the total energy of a system is always positive, as it represents the sum of potential and kinetic energies. The negative sign is simply a convention used to indicate the direction of energy flow.

4. How does the negative kinetic energy of exp[iwt] relate to the concept of energy conservation?

The negative kinetic energy of exp[iwt] does not violate the principle of energy conservation. In a closed system, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but it can change forms. The negative kinetic energy of exp[iwt] is simply a way of describing the transfer of energy within a system.

5. Are there any practical applications of negative kinetic energy?

Yes, negative kinetic energy has practical applications in various fields, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is used to describe the behavior of particles and energy flow in these systems and helps in understanding and predicting their properties and interactions.