Why don't emission/loss of virtual photons lower a charge's energy?

In summary, according to the content, electric force between charge particles is mediated by photons. photons have energy and momentum, and the way charge particles interact with each other is by exchanging photons.
ovais
Hello all,

I came to know that electric(electromagnetic in general) force between charge particles is mediated by photons. At first I just wondered what are photons doing here? I mean till what I know is that photons bundels of energy for em radiation and that they are massless but have momentum given by Einstein energy momentum equation. So for the photons I am used to they have energy and momentum. And I started to worry how a photon is mediating the electric interaction(force) between two charge particles.

Then I searched over the internet and find something called Quantum Field Theory, by a simple careful reading I found that the way charge particles interact with each other is by emitting or exchanging photons.

Now I have two questions: 1 how can exchange of photons led to attractive force between unlike charges and how can exchange of photons led to repulsion between like charges.

2. Does a charge always emit photons no matter is it isolated or with other charges. If so won't the charge lose its by continuously emitting photons(as photons have energy and they are coming from charge so they should take charge's energy)?

Finally I am still more confused when folk says that these types of photons are different and are called virtual photons, which do not follow energy-momentim relation . I still do not know how even not following energy-momentum relation can remove my doubts.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Virtual particles are not real. They have the same "physical existence" as the number 3: they are tools in calculations only. Don't expect things in calculations to behave like physical objects.
ovais said:
2. Does a charge always emit photons no matter is it isolated or with other charges.
No, it only emits photons (=real photons) if it is accelerated.

mfb said:
Virtual particles are not real. They have the same "physical existence" as the number 3: they are tools in calculations only. Don't expect things in calculations to behave like physical objects.No, it only emits photons (=real photons) if it is accelerated.

Ok got it! Thank you :)

1. Why don't virtual photons lower a charge's energy?

Virtual photons are not real particles, but rather mathematical constructs used to explain the electromagnetic force between charged particles. They do not have a physical existence and therefore do not contribute to the energy of a charge.

2. How do virtual photons interact with charges?

Virtual photons mediate the electromagnetic force between charged particles. They are exchanged between charges, causing them to either attract or repel each other based on their charges.

3. Can virtual photons be detected?

No, virtual photons cannot be directly detected because they are not real particles. They only exist in the mathematical equations used to describe the behavior of charged particles.

4. Do virtual photons have a specific energy or wavelength?

Since virtual photons are not real particles, they do not have a specific energy or wavelength. Their energy and wavelength are dependent on the specific interaction between charged particles and cannot be measured or observed.

5. Do virtual photons have mass?

Virtual photons do not have mass because they are not real particles. They are considered to be massless, which allows them to travel at the speed of light and mediate the electromagnetic force.