Why don't UTF-8 emojis work?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, emojis can be pasted into web pages that use the UTF-8 character set, but they may not appear if the font used does not support them. Some fonts do support emojis, but for those that do not, a custom font must be loaded onto the webpage. The default font used in editing windows may be different from the font used when displaying posts, and the appearance of emojis may vary depending on the font settings.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Today I learned that I can paste emojis into my Web pages, because I overhauled them a few months ago to use the UTF-8 (Unicode) character set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji#In_the_Unicode_standard

I wonder if they work here, too:

Aw, I guess not. :H

Why not? pages here use UTF-8, too: <meta charset="utf-8" />

I see the emojis when I paste them into the editing window, but they don't appear on the page after it's posted.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the font used in the editing windows is different from the font used when displaying posts?

On my own pages, I don't do anything special at all as far as fonts are concerned. I don't specify the font for body text in my stylesheet, so it's whatever proportional font the browser (Firefox, Mac OS) is set to, which in my case is Times. In my stylesheet I specify h1 and h2 headings to use a sans-serif font, which is set to Helvetica. Emojis work in either body text or headings, and in Firefox's title bar (<title> tag).

I tried changing the default font to a few different settings, and the emojis on my test page still appear. I don't have any of the fonts listed in the table that you link to. There must be something going on behind the scenes somewhere.

1. Why do some websites or applications display weird characters instead of emojis when using UTF-8 encoding?

This is likely due to a compatibility issue between the UTF-8 encoding and the specific font used on the website or application. Some fonts may not support certain Unicode characters, including emojis.

2. Can I fix this issue by changing the encoding to UTF-16 or another encoding?

Changing the encoding to a different format may fix the issue, but it is not a recommended solution. UTF-8 is the most widely used and supported encoding, and switching to a different encoding may cause other compatibility problems.

3. Why do some emojis work on some devices or browsers, but not others?

Different devices and browsers may have different default fonts or support for certain Unicode characters. This can result in variations in how emojis are displayed.

4. Is there a way to ensure that emojis will work on all devices and browsers?

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that emojis will work on all devices and browsers. However, using a widely supported font and properly encoding characters in UTF-8 can help improve compatibility.

5. Why is it important for UTF-8 emojis to work?

Emojis have become an integral part of communication and expression in our digital world. It is important for UTF-8 emojis to work properly to ensure effective communication across different platforms and devices.