Why don't we use the antiderivative factor for Average Voltage

In summary: I would be interested in finding out who wrote that and where they got it from.Yes, I thought the reference was to some other integral.
rtareen
Below is the really quick derivation for average voltage. However when we do the anti-derivative a factor of ##1/\omega## should come out and the full answer should be ##\frac{2V_p}{\pi \omega}##. So why don't we include that? What's going on?
AVG_VOLTAGE.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there's a typo. The range from ##0## to ##\pi## is not one half a cycle of ##\sin(\omega \pi)##. It's probably supposed to be the integral from ##0## to ##\pi/\omega##?

Likes DaveE, mfb and rtareen
Office_Shredder said:
I think there's a typo. The range from ##0## to ##\pi## is not one half a cycle of ##\sin(\omega \pi)##. It's probably supposed to be the integral from ##0## to ##\pi/\omega##?
I wouldn't doubt it. I already found something wrong previously in this book. It doesn't help that there's only one edition. However that doesn't solve the problem of the factor ##1/\omega## not being included?

It's a time average, so the factor in front of the integral gets a factor ##\omega##, too (we average over a time of ##\frac \pi \omega##).

rtareen said:
Below is the really quick derivation for average voltage. However when we do the anti-derivative a factor of ##1/\omega## should come out and the full answer should be ##\frac{2V_p}{\pi \omega}##. So why don't we include that? What's going on?
Do the integral (anti-derivative). The average of the voltage over half a cycle when time is the variable is the average over half a period T:$$\langle V \rangle = \frac{\int_0^{T/2}V_P\sin(\omega t)~dt}{\int_0^{T/2}dt}=\frac{ V_P\left[1-\cos\left(\frac{\omega T}{2}\right)\right]}{\omega}\times \frac{1}{\frac{T}{2}}.$$ Now substitute ##\omega T=2\pi.## What do you get?

Likes alan123hk
mfb said:
It's a time average, so the factor in front of the integral gets a factor ##\omega##, too (we average over a time of ##\frac \pi \omega##).
That makes it work out. Thanks!

Likes mfb
kuruman said:
Do the integral (anti-derivative). The average of the voltage over half a cycle when time is the variable is the average over half a period T:$$\langle V \rangle = \frac{\int_0^{T/2}V_P\sin(\omega t)~dt}{\int_0^{T/2}dt}=\frac{ V_P\left[1-\cos\left(\frac{\omega T}{2}\right)\right]}{\omega}\times \frac{1}{\frac{T}{2}}.$$ Now substitute ##\omega T=2\pi.## What do you get?
I get the answer they got. After a search I realized that was the right answer. But the integral(s) they say would evaluate to that is wrong.

rtareen said:
I get the answer they got. After a search I realized that was the right answer. But the integral(s) they say would evaluate to that is wrong.
What integral(s) is (are) that (these) and who are they who say that?

kuruman said:
What integral(s) is (are) that (these) and who are they who say that?
If you look at OP you will see they got the answer right but did not set up the integral properly.

Likes kuruman
rtareen said:
If you look at OP you will see they got the answer right but did not set up the integral properly.
Yes, I thought the reference was to some other integral.

1. Why don't we use the antiderivative factor for Average Voltage?

The antiderivative factor is not used for Average Voltage because it is not a valid mathematical operation for this measurement. Average Voltage is calculated by taking the average of the absolute values of the voltage over a specific time period, and the antiderivative factor is not applicable in this scenario.

2. What is the purpose of the antiderivative factor?

The antiderivative factor is used in calculus to find the original function from its derivative. It is not used in the calculation of Average Voltage because it is not a relevant factor in this context.

3. Can the antiderivative factor be used for other electrical measurements?

No, the antiderivative factor is specific to calculus and cannot be used for other electrical measurements. Each measurement has its own specific formula and factors that are relevant to its calculation.

4. Is the antiderivative factor necessary for accurate calculations?

No, the antiderivative factor is not necessary for accurate calculations of Average Voltage. The formula for Average Voltage is already well-established and does not require the use of the antiderivative factor.

5. Are there any situations where the antiderivative factor may be applicable for Average Voltage?

No, the antiderivative factor is not applicable for Average Voltage in any situation. The formula for Average Voltage is based on the average of absolute values and does not involve the use of derivatives or antiderivatives.