Why gravitational force is attractive? (and why dark matter is repulsive?)

In summary, gravitational force is attractive because mass can never be negative. Some people believe that dark energy is the result of the force being attractive.
parshyaa
Why gravitational force is attractive?
  • Some where it was written that gravitons are hypothetical particles which mediates the force of gravitation, and it has a spin of 2 , and Quantum field theory had proved that any particle of spin 2 characteristic will always mediate attractive force. But this theory is not yet proved .
  • And it was written somewhere that there is an exceptional case for gravitational force to be attractive. Ie dark energy is a case of gravitational repulsion and it is responsible for the expansion of universe. And it is due to the negative pressure effect of dark energy, what is this?
  • What if the existence of gravitons particle is proved, then how this theory will explain dark energy.
  • Some people say that gravitational force is always attractive because mass can never be negative, why we are talking about negativity or positivity of mass , why we are comparing it to the electromagnetic force(just like positve and negative charges repels and there is no negative mass therefore no repulsion)

Likes bsheikho
Physics news on Phys.org
parshyaa said:
And it was written somewhere that there is an exceptional case for gravitational force to be attractive. Ie dark energy is a case of gravitational repulsion and it is responsible for the expansion of universe. And it is due to the negative pressure effect of dark energy, what is this?
"it was written somewhere" is not an acceptable citation here. if we knew what dark energy was we wouldn't be calling it "dark energy", we'd be calling it by a name that is descriptive of what it is.
  • What if the existence of gravitons particle is proved, then how this theory will explain dark energy.
  • Since we don't know what dark energy is, how could we possibly know how gravitons relate to it?
    [*]Some people say that gravitational force is always attractive because mass can never be negative, why we are talking about negativity or positivity of mass , why we are comparing it to the electromagnetic force(just like positve and negative charges repels and there is no negative mass therefore no repulsion)
    "Some people say" is not an acceptable citation here. I believe it was thought for a while that anti particles (the positron, for example) would have negative mass but that is not the case.

Ok , dark energy is called as dark energy because we don't know much about it, I was asking if existence of gravitons is proved to be right. And quanum theory had proved that if gravitons exist then they will always attract things(because they have spin-2) then how it will explain the expansion of universe.
phinds said:
"it was written somewhere" is not an acceptable citation here. if we knew what dark energy was we wouldn't be calling it "dark energy", we'd be calling it by a name that is descriptive of what it is.
  • Since we don't know what dark energy is, how could we possibly know how gravitons relate to it?"Some people say" is not an acceptable citation here. I believe it was thought for a while that anti particles (the positron, for example) would have negative mass but that is not the case.

parshyaa said:
... how it will explain the expansion of universe.
Look, we CALL the reason for the expansion dark energy because we don't know what it is. How can we know what relationship gravitions will have with something when we don't know what that something is? Gravitrons may have nothing to do with the expansion of the universe.

Thanks; your answer made me satisfied, how can I relate something to something, about which we don't know anything.

Likes berkeman
The usual approach is to describe it phenomenologically, as batman said, it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

Likes hsdrop and parshyaa
parshyaa said:
how it will explain the expansion of universe.
It won't. Dark energy is not needed for the universe to expand. You could have a universe without dark energy (until recently, in cosmological terms, the dark energy component was negligible) and it would still expand.

You need it to obtain accelerated expansion.

Likes parshyaa and bsheikho
Yeah, @parshyaa, I mispoke when I said we call the reason for the expansion dark energy. Orodruin is right, of course. We call the reason for the ACCELERATION of the expansion dark energy.

Likes parshyaa
In your title you have "dark matter is repulsive", it isn't but perhaps you are referring to dark energy?

cosmik debris said:
In your title you have "dark matter is repulsive", it isn't but perhaps you are referring to dark energy?
Yes you are right,I don't know who edited my question , my question was only why gravitational force is attractive?

A nonsense post and a bunch of follow-up posts have been deleted. I remind our forum regulars to click the report button for nonsense rather than the reply button.

Likes parshyaa

1. Why do objects attract each other due to gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a fundamental force of nature that exists between any two objects with mass. This force is attractive because each object creates a gravitational field that pulls the other object towards it. The strength of the force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them.

2. How does the concept of mass relate to the attractive nature of gravitational force?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains. The more mass an object has, the stronger its gravitational field, and therefore the stronger its gravitational force. This is why larger objects, such as planets and stars, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects.

3. What is dark matter and why is it considered repulsive?

Dark matter is a hypothetical type of matter that does not interact with light and cannot be directly observed. It is believed to make up about 27% of the total mass of the universe. Dark matter is considered repulsive because it is thought to have a negative pressure, causing it to have a repulsive gravitational force rather than an attractive one.

4. How do scientists know that dark matter is repulsive?

Scientists have not directly observed dark matter, but they have studied its effects on visible matter in the universe. By studying the motion of galaxies and galaxy clusters, they have found that the gravitational force of visible matter alone cannot explain their movements. This suggests that there must be an additional source of gravity, such as dark matter, which is repulsive in nature.

5. Can dark matter and normal matter interact with each other?

While dark matter is thought to have a repulsive gravitational force, it is believed to interact with normal matter only through gravity. This means that dark matter and normal matter can influence each other's movements through their gravitational fields, but they do not directly interact or collide with each other like normal matter does.