Why hasn't gravity been solved for space flight

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of gravity and space flight and the use of particle accelerators to solve related problems. However, it is noted that gravity is a solely attractive force and the limited possibilities for manipulating it make the use of a particle accelerator unlikely to be effective.
Nelli
I am no smart person like the rest of you, but I find it fascinating about how physics works. I am deeply motivated to know about how we would solve this problem about gravity and space flight. Would a particle accelerator be used to help solve this problem or am I way off base?

Science news on Phys.org
Nelli said:
I am no smart person like the rest of you, but I find it fascinating about how physics works. I am deeply motivated to know about how we would solve this problem about gravity and space flight. Would a particle accelerator be used to help solve this problem or am I way off base?

Welcome to Physics Forums! Your question isn't very clear. Could you describe the gravity problem you're referring to?

Nelli said:
Would a particle accelerator be used to help solve this problem
What way were you expecting that it could be used?

Nelli said:
I am deeply motivated to know about how we would solve this problem about gravity and space flight.

The problem is that gravity isn't repulsive, it's solely attractive. Without multiple types of "charges", like the EM force has, it is essentially impossible to manipulate gravity in any way except in the trivial manner of moving stuff around to increase or decrease gravity somewhere. But even that is severely limited by the extremely weak strength of gravity compared to the other fundamental forces.

Nelli said:
Would a particle accelerator be used to help solve this problem or am I way off base?

It would not.

Related to Why hasn't gravity been solved for space flight

1. Why is gravity a challenge for space flight?

Gravity is a challenge for space flight because it is a fundamental force that affects all objects with mass. In order to achieve space flight, we must overcome the Earth's gravitational pull which requires a significant amount of energy and technology.

2. Can gravity be completely eliminated for space flight?

No, gravity cannot be completely eliminated for space flight. It is a fundamental force of the universe and cannot be turned off. However, through the use of technology and physics, we can reduce its effects and create conditions of weightlessness for astronauts.

3. How does gravity affect space travel?

Gravity affects space travel in several ways. For one, it influences the trajectory and speed of a spacecraft. It also creates the orbital paths of planets, moons, and other objects in space. Furthermore, gravity can cause microgravity effects on humans and equipment in space.

4. Has gravity been solved for space flight?

No, gravity has not been completely solved for space flight. While we have made significant advancements in understanding and manipulating gravity, there is still much we do not know. The effects of gravity on objects in space are complex and require ongoing research and technological developments.

5. What are some current solutions for overcoming gravity in space flight?

Some current solutions for overcoming gravity in space flight include using powerful rockets, utilizing the Earth's gravitational slingshot effect, and creating artificial gravity through rotation. Scientists are also exploring the use of advanced propulsion systems and anti-gravity technologies.