Why have blank margins on the pages?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of blank margins on web pages and the difficulty of getting rid of them. The speaker expresses frustration with wasted space and mentions that some websites like Amazon do not have blank margins. It is suggested that the issue may be related to screen resolution and a solution is given to remove the margins. The conversation ends with the speaker mentioning a possible solution to remove margins for the message composition window.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I'm curious why the forum pages have blank margins.

I don't know about how browsers and the basic web page arrive at the final display of a page, so I may not appreciate how difficult it would be to get rid of the margins. Being considerably "over 40", I find it difficult to read what I'm typing when I compose a post. It's true I can zoom-in or use a huge monitor etc. But I still begrudge seeing a inch of wasted space on the side of each page and then even more wasted space on the margins of the message composition window.

Apparently it is possible to have web pages without blank margins. I find it intersting that the "old guard" retailers tend to have web pages with blank margins (as if they expect people to print hard copies of the page) and websites like Amazon don't.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
I don't know about how browsers and the basic web page arrive at the final display of a page, so I may not appreciate how difficult it would be to get rid of the margins. Being considerably "over 40", I find it difficult to read what I'm typing when I compose a post. It's true I can zoom-in or use a huge monitor etc. But I still begrudge seeing a inch of wasted space on the side of each page and then even more wasted space on the margins of the message composition window.

It's all about your screen resolution. If you have trouble seeing your screen you need to use a lower resolution. Try 1024x768. You won't see any margins then, as that is what PF is set for. Anything higher and you'll see a left and right margin.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Try 1024x768. You won't see any margins then, as that is what PF is set for. Anything higher and you'll see a left and right margin.

Thank you. That works.

- but I still get to complain about the big margins around the message composition window!

Stephen Tashi said:
Thank you. That works.

- but I still get to complain about the big margins around the message composition window!

That is something I will look at, thanks.

You can remove the margins yourself if you like.

This should work in Firefox (with Stylish):
Code:
@-moz-document domain("physicsforums.com") {
 .page {
    width: 99% !important;
 }
}
It does not change the size of the reply box, but that can be adjusted manually (once per post).

I guess other browsers have similar features.

1. Why are blank margins necessary on pages?

Blank margins are necessary on pages for several reasons. Firstly, they provide a buffer zone between the content and the edges of the page, avoiding any text or images from being cut off. Secondly, they allow for easy handling and readability of the page as one can hold the paper without touching the actual content. Lastly, they provide space for binding, hole punching, or other forms of binding for documents.

2. Can I adjust the size of the margins on a page?

Yes, the size of the margins on a page can be adjusted. Most word processing and design software allow for customization of margins to fit the specific needs of the document. However, it is important to keep in mind that too narrow margins can result in content being cut off or difficult to read.

3. Do blank margins serve any purpose in digital documents?

Yes, blank margins serve a purpose in digital documents as well. They provide a visual break between the content and the edge of the screen, making it easier for the eyes to focus on the text. They also allow for easy scrolling and navigation of the document without accidentally clicking on the content.

4. Why do some documents have larger margins than others?

The size of margins on a document can vary depending on the purpose and format of the document. For example, a book or a report may have larger margins compared to a flyer or a brochure. Margins can also be adjusted for aesthetic purposes, such as creating a more balanced and visually appealing layout.

5. Can I completely remove the margins on a page?

In most cases, it is not recommended to completely remove the margins on a page. As mentioned earlier, margins serve several purposes and without them, the content can become difficult to read or handle. However, some software may allow for the option to remove or minimize margins for specific purposes, such as creating borderless prints. It is important to consider the function and readability of the document before removing margins entirely.