Spyare on PSP? I may have the first known case

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
In summary, PSP is Sony's new multimedia device, which is also the leading edge in portable gaming. The CPU and raw graphics power is superpassing the PS1, not quite the PS2, amazing for any handheld. It also you can view photos, slideshows, listen to MP3's, and video as well as they make movies for it (full lenght, i.e american pie) with no extras unlike DVDs. However, there is a new problem where people are getting popup messages that say they have spyware on their computer. If there is no spyware, this problem is definitely new to me and the PSP community.
QuantumTheory
For all of those who don't know already, PSP is sony's new multimedia device, which is also the leading edge in portable gaming. The CPU and raw graphics power is superpassing the PS1, not quite the PS2, amazing for any handheld. It also you can view photos, slideshows, listen to MP3's, and video as well as they make movies for it (full lenght, i.e american pie) with no extras unlike DVDs.

The medium in which information is stored (i.e games or movies) is relatively new properitary format called UMD. (Universal Media Disc) basically a mini disc. It can hold more data than a gamecube disc can hold for the Nintendo Gamecube.

Now since I got the background out of the way, here's my problem. (Note: I have posted about this on the sony forums, no luck)

With a verison called 2.0, sony regularly releases updates for the PSP to improve the PSP system. A few months ago, sony released 2.0 verison, which has a built in wireless browser in it. YOu can browse the web on your PSP

Mine was working fine until a few weeks ago. Suddenly, whenever I went to google, I got a ton of poups, and it actually never went to the google site. It went to a site called www.google.com/disclaimer[/URL]. And other popups.
It even had a popup made like a spyware program and it said "We are scanning your internet browser for spyware. You have spyware on your internet browser." and listed the spyware that I had. I was smart enough to realize this was just an ad.

Nevertheless, people have told me there is no spyware for the PSP, and sony would have to sign for it.

If there is no spyware, this problem is definitely new to me and the PSP community. Because these popups don't happen to any other website, just google.com and I used to not have these problems.

Recently, a hacker created a virus for the PSP which you can download unwillingly on accident and it will 'brick' your psp which means it deletes the critical system files and makes it so you cannot turn your PSP back on. This is agianst the warranty and you will have to pay another 250 bucks to buy another.

I also wanted to say, this is not just one or two popups. These are several popups.

This is what I get when I go to google:
(PSP Message screen, which looks like a translucent blue window)
"Javascript will open a new page. Would you like to continue?"(Options: disable javascript. Yes or no)
I click yes.
Javascript will open a new page. Would you like to continue?"(Options: disable javascript. Yes or no)
I click yes
Javascript will open a new page. Would you like to continue?"(Options: disable javascript. Yes or no)

Each time it does this, it generates popups. The javascript is actually a popup And if I click disable, it won't go to the site.

Also, after a certain number of these javascripts, I get something which looks like a hacker put on my PSP, I don't see why the PSP would have this message on it:
"Your PSP is vulerable to popus. Would you like to install a popup blocker?"

A popup blocker on my PSP? Come on! I even downloaded it, which in itself couldve wrecked my PSP. Still, same thing happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
that's pretty scary. I have 2.5. I haven't gone to Google yet

yomamma said:
that's pretty scary. I have 2.5. I haven't gone to Google yet

Everyone I've talked to has no problems going to google. in fact I didnt either until i recently

and now I have 2.5 as well

anyone else?

I have heard there are some viruses out there that infect the PSP. There are even some that will completely ruin it. Be cautious.

Well if its based on java then the fact you have stated "there is no spyware for the PSP", is meaningless. Java is platform indepenedent...

There are even some scarey virus that have been written which are totally free of host OS constraints that could easily effect your PSP.. IE XSS scripting:

http://www.bindshell.net/papers/xssv/xssv.html

Advice, don't go on the net if you don't know what is harmful and what isn't for your PSP

An example of XSS:

http://fast.info/myspace/

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently, a hacker created a virus for the PSP which you can download unwillingly on accident and it will 'brick' your psp which means it deletes the critical system files and makes it so you cannot turn your PSP back on. This is agianst the warranty and you will have to pay another 250 bucks to buy another.

Wow that sucks. I wonder why there isn't a way to fix your psp after infection! Thats $250 gone!

Why'd you upgrade to 2.5? You just lost the ability to run home-made code.. :( (Bye bye Quake, DOOM, snes/nes/genesis/mastersystem/wonderswan :{)
Anyway, I've never had a problem going to Google and I my PSP's 2.0.. (Japanese version if that's of any relevance)
You can only brick your PSP if you download this file/view it (It's a picture) and... yeah... that's it I guess.

it may be off topic but i was just wondering why do people say if you get the virus you will have to buy a new one, can't you just restore the system files erased by the virus in the same way the virus deleted them in the first place.

1. What is "Spyware" and how does it work on PSP?

Spyware is a type of malicious software that is designed to secretly gather and transmit sensitive information from a device to a third party. On PSP, spyware can be installed through downloads or malicious websites, and it can track and collect data such as browsing history, passwords, and personal information without the user's knowledge.

2. How can I tell if my PSP has been infected with spyware?

Some common signs of a spyware infection on PSP include sudden changes in performance, unusual pop-up ads, and unknown programs running in the background. You may also notice a decrease in battery life and storage space. It is important to regularly scan your device for malware and avoid downloading suspicious content to prevent spyware infections.

3. Can spyware on PSP be removed?

Yes, spyware on PSP can be removed by using antivirus software or by manually deleting the infected files. It is important to regularly update your antivirus software and perform system scans to prevent and remove any potential spyware threats.

4. What kind of data can spyware on PSP access?

Spyware on PSP can access a wide range of sensitive information including login credentials, browsing history, contact lists, and personal information such as credit card numbers and social security numbers. It is important to regularly monitor your device for any signs of spyware and take necessary precautions to protect your data.

5. How can I prevent spyware on my PSP in the future?

To prevent spyware on PSP, it is important to only download content from trusted sources and avoid clicking on suspicious links or pop-up ads. You should also regularly update your device's software and use a reputable antivirus program. Additionally, being cautious about sharing personal information online can also help prevent spyware attacks.